Do camera flashes affect fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't honestly know but I always thought it slowed them down or temp stunned them or something like thats how much fish act. I guess. I don't think it hurts them though, it might though. Lol

As you can tell I don't know but it slows my fish down after a shot.

Yes, camera flashes do affect fish in a negative way. It has a startling affect, the same affect your eyes feel when you look directly into the flash as it goes off.

Agreed, I have some fish that will hide or act stressed when I use the flash. In most cases I try to add extra lights on the tank so I will not need the flash.

Dont really think it hurts them. maybe a little stress or something like that. But i wouldnt use flash if i didnt need to. if you can then just put more lights on the tank this i would assume would be better for the fish than the flash.

I've not seen any effects of the flash on the fish here, but the visual effects (reflections, over exposure, red eyes (eeebil fishies!!!), cloudyness etc) mean it's pointless to use the flash, just use ambient light from around the tank aswell as the tank lights... :)

^ Yep. You'll almost certainly get a better result if you do not use a flash. If your tank light isn't particularly bright, use a tripod (or just brace your camera on something steady) and use the longest exposure your fish will allow.

Back
Top Bottom