Do you have rams? Lets share pics! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi I'm going to my LFS Friday so ill be able to get the proper name then.

Spike looks good bud

Here's my EBR and "the plant" lol

Attachments

• image-786579368.jpg
    image-786579368.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 116
Hi I'm going to my LFS Friday so ill be able to get the proper name then.

Spike looks good bud

Here's my EBR and "the plant" lol

What lights do you have? Ferts? Co2?

I don't like EBRs a whole lot. Not sure why. Looks beautiful.

They're 45$ for tiny babies at my LFS. So I never had one.

Hey that sounds pricey lol I paid seven pounds each for mine

I use JBL co2 with a glass diffuser

Tetra plantamin fert

Sub is aqua soil and gravel

Lights are t5

Yeah electric blues shouldn't cost that much. They should cost for a larger sized one at about 10 to 15 dollars

Do the rams prefer warmer water?

Yes, ideally you want 82-85 but lots of people have success in the 78-80 range but i prefer to be safe than sorry since they can be sensitive. I believe Bolivians prefer it a little cooler.

I used to have rams until a few months ago, I had three female golden rams and one regular blue female ram. I was planning on trying to pair them, and bought a gorgeous full grown male to place with them. The girls did not like this, and pestered him until he was too afraid to eat and eventually died :/ I never thought the females could be so aggressive... or were they just desperate?? Have any of you ever had overly aggressive females?

Darky said:
I used to have rams until a few months ago, I had three female golden rams and one regular blue female ram. I was planning on trying to pair them, and bought a gorgeous full grown male to place with them. The girls did not like this, and pestered him until he was too afraid to eat and eventually died :/ I never thought the females could be so aggressive... or were they just desperate?? Have any of you ever had overly aggressive females?

Well you'll always have that problem with cichlids no matter what. I think regardless of sex the risk will always be present. But I have never kept females so maybe someone else will chime in.

Are you sure you did not have a male within that group you thought were all females?

David

I was completely sure they were females, they even had the typical pinkish bellies, the shimmering speckles where the black spot would be on a regular ram (I shone a flashlight on them at night to see), and the round bodies, they were also long finned rams though, so I couldn't really rely on that for identification. But they were also pale and almost white- even when they did color up they were light.

Like I said before. It's possible that even female cichlids will have aggression issues. So they most likely claimed all the territory within the tank. How big was it?

Yeah, I remember how ridiculously aggressive my convict cichlids had been with each other, so territorial issues could have been the problem.

The tank was a decent size, 55 gallons, and I used to have rocks in it- carefully placed enough to make hiding places. I've since taken those out, and have replaced the gravel with sand. The gravel had been lava rock, and I realized it was making my PH and water hardness stay too high for rams.

I've been wanting to restart on rams, so I've been looking around for more info on what I could have done wrong.

Well that sounds like a good approach. However rams seem to do very well in planted tanks. I am heavily planted with lots of driftwood

image-1642296495.jpg

I have to go heavier with plants because in my 50g there's still issues with aggression and territory between my 2 males. But nothing too dramatic to worry about

The driftwood looks positively natural and lovely- I've definitely been considering it lately, and the more plants, the merrier! :) Thanks for the input, and hopefully if I do things right this time, I'll add pictures of my new rams here!

I'm not sure if he's full grown. I think he'll grow a little more. My Bolivian ram is almost full grown.

The jbl kit any good? I am contemplating co2. Google says you need to replace bio refill every 40 days. What does this mean?

Back
Top Bottom