Driftwood and Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matusewicz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can I coat driftwood with polyurethane so it will not alter the pH? If so, could you recommend a polyurethane that will not harm my fish or plants? Where can buy some cool driftwood?

Now stones, what stones will not alter my pH, list of stones please? Where could I buy them?

last question, what kind of gravel or substrate is best for plants? I'm thinking Eco-Complete gravel/

No...Dont coat your driftwood. Unless you fill your entire tank with driftwood the PH wont change that much. As for the stones, try a landscape supply store, or gardening store. Granite, or river stone is fine for rocks.

I have 4 good size driftwood pieces and the PH did not change at all.

another thing to consider is the type of driftwood you want to use. Different types lower your ph more.

I go into the mountains and hills or by the river for all my rocks, Some I have boiled to clean, others I have done a very very light bleach water mix, some I have just washed with the garden hose or in the sink, some I have soaked for a day and drained and refilled water a few times (bleach ones), some I just place right in the tank(washed in sink) I have rocks from all over the place, rivers out of the ocean, in the mountains, When ever I go places I always look at the rocks, I know I have a problem when I think of fish tanks everytime I see nice rocks, when I pick them out I think of how I am going to stack them or what I want to build with them.

Hi a few question. Of course the answers I got where from the pet store and they want to sell their items. The clerk said do not add river rocks or pea gravel. We have a fast running creek on our property and we where going to use those rocks. She said not good. Is she right?? I can wash the rocks in plain water, I do not like using any chemicals to wash items I am putting in fish tank. So I can use river rocks right, she wanted us to pay $8 a pd for their live rocks. Also are they really live rocks?? Thanks Lynda

LFS rocks- Are the rocks in water or just sitting out in a box or some type of bag? Live rocks have to be in water, full temp, everything, just like a normal aquarium, also have to be places in a bag or bucket of water to try to keep the algae alive taking them home, not always best as who knows what problems they have with the stuff :), Live means already has stuff growing on it to help with biological filtration, dont worry about it at all, Live stuff only really applies to salt water where it can matter more and mostly its used to jump start a tank that has not been already setup. If you really want to make sure they are clean get an old pot and boil them for just a little while. This will do ok to good. What I would really recommend (BEST) because you dont want anything on them now going into your tank is adding just a very small amount of bleach to some water and put the rocks in that for an hour or so. Then after that wash rocks really well and smell them, if you smell bleach a bit soak them for the day in water and cahnge the water a couple times during the day. smell them again, if its very very faint or none your good to go. Also if you dont I recommend a pleco to clean them, washing works well but a little bleach goes along way and helps allot. I have just washed rocks and they seemed to grow algae fast so I took them out and bleach washed them and much much better after that. All water is not equal.

Hi a few question. Of course the answers I got where from the pet store and they want to sell their items. The clerk said do not add river rocks or pea gravel. We have a fast running creek on our property and we where going to use those rocks. She said not good. Is she right?? I can wash the rocks in plain water, I do not like using any chemicals to wash items I am putting in fish tank. So I can use river rocks right, she wanted us to pay $8 a pd for their live rocks. Also are they really live rocks?? Thanks Lynda

Yes I do. Was at Costco the other day and they had flag stone on a pallet for 250.00 I was thinking I have gotten about that much off the mountains and I am glad it cost me just a sweet drive into the mountains but it can take some time to find the perfect rock collection area.

Also they had a round 18foot pool think of the possibilities :)

You may have a "rock" addiction...

You should get more flagstone and sell that $stuff. Alot of big box stores will buy if you can sell them bulk regularly. Heck, quit you job and be a flagstone guy. @250 a pop, thats money all day

Hi didysis and hippy guy Thanks for the input. I had a fresh water tank for years and raised koi. I knew I could put rocks I found in my fish tank after I washed it good. I do not use any soap or chemicals to wash my rocks in the past, but the bleach sounds good. I have so many rocks, flat ones around my pond, I am going to steal some. The koi won't mind. thanks again

Hi wanted to mention the tank I am setting up is a 95 gallon salt water tank. I did buy one rock from an active tank of the store. Cause I wanted to jump start the tank. One other question. I have rocks the have fallen into my koi pond, those would have to be washed, cannot use it to help with jumping the tank off?? Or best to leave that idea alone, again thks

Back
Top Bottom