Dual Deca Gallon Desktop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PB_Smith

Aquarium Advice Addict
So it all started when Petco had the $1 a gallon sale recently and I purchased two ten gallon tanks with the intention of quarantine tanks.
Then my Magenta pseudochromis decided he just had to kick the crap out of everyone else in the tank, so he now enjoys a tank with only a coral banded shrimp and a hermit for company.

92584-albums14090-picture67221.jpg

Then I received some orphaned Neon Tetras and was forced to keep them in a small Betta tank, which the Betta was none too happy about.
so last Friday night being bored and having consumed too much caffeine I set out to give those little Neons a place to call home.

So I took the other ten gallon and having fashioned an internal chamber filter for it;

92584-albums14090-picture67217.jpg

and a basic undergravel out of corrugated plastic.
This stuff is great as you can cut it very easily and use it for myriad purposes.

The first chamber is filled with filter floss, ~150 ml of Purigen, filter sponge. second is filled with Fluval ceramic and Seachem Matrix, the third is stuffed with plastic scrubbers and the return pump.
Have a similar set-up on the salt 10, but with more chambers and can fit a protein skimmer if needed.

This is how it looked at first when I was figuring out the scape;

92584-albums14090-picture67218.jpg

here is the end result;

92584-albums14090-picture67220.jpg

and this is how the entire rig looks;

92584-albums14090-picture67222.jpg

and it sits on my desk/mounted to the wall;

92584-albums14090-picture67232.jpg

don't know why it looks crooked, LOL, it's perfectly level.

and I know the door and shelf look like doo-doo. This was constructed out of scrap on hand and in one evening, so.......

92584-albums14090-picture67219.jpg

gonna be redoing it with nice furniture grade wood in the near future. ;)

92584-albums14090-picture67230.jpg

92584-albums14090-picture67224.jpg

92584-albums14090-picture67231.jpg

so there is currently 7 neons, 1 dwarf frog and 1 albino cory.
will be adding another albino cory and a few serpea tetras.

All the plants I got at Petco. went in the other night and the plants looked horrid, so I asked if I could get a deal, so the girl said $1 a bunch.
I picked up 6 "Charlie Brown" plants, brought them home, trimmed and planted.
Not bad for $6, but we will see in a few weeks.

Almost looks like there is no water. You sure have a talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nice build pb! Neons are loving the new digs I'd say.. i know you've been at this a while but... perhaps scrap the serpae and up the corys to 5? They really do appreciate company and serpae can be bullys, can't see them doing so well in a 10.. just saying..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm actually contemplating returning the cory and just going with all tetras.
They do like being in a group and was considering 3 total for this tank, but still not decided as it is a bit small for a group of cory cats.

Two other possible candidates instead of the cats are a maybe 4 rummy nosed or 4 bloodfin tetras, and serpaes are one of my favorites so probably still try and get a few of those........

you do realize what this means don't you??......

tank has only been up for a week and I'm already planning a bigger upgrade to accommodate what I want...LOL

yes, my addiction has returned.

Well when I visited the store the other day I just couldn't resist and got another cory cat.
They hit it off right away (y)

92584-albums14090-picture67270.jpg

92584-albums14090-picture67271.jpg

92584-albums14090-picture67272.jpg

Well a few things have changed.
Took back the cory cats as it wasn't fair to them being as rambunctious as they were. They will have to wait for a 50 gallon or bigger, LOL.
About three weeks ago I tore it all down and replaced the substrate with a better/finer black gravel and rescaped, replanted and boy it is really taking off now.
Just compare to the pics above.
and yes, they are all the same plants except I added about 6-7 strands of anacharis in the middle.
92584-albums14090-picture67546.jpg

Back
Top Bottom