Eel feeding pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, they aren't so great but figured, what the heck. Here are pics of my babies eating today. Some were more cooperative about than others. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 053108 007rs.jpg
    053108 007rs.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 104
  • 053108 016rs.jpg
    053108 016rs.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 66
  • 053108 040rs.jpg
    053108 040rs.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 053108rs.jpg
    053108rs.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 62
wow very cool pictures. I thought you weren't supposed to stick you fingers in around eels like that?

I think it depends on the eel. Mine are very familiar with me so they trust me and the feeling is mutual. But then the eels I have are all pretty mellow species. More aggressive eels may not be as friendly.

Beautiful eels
And whether they are mellow or really really laid back - I am not brave enough to stick my fingers in there
I've seen eels smile - allot of teeth!

those are great pictures!! pardon my ignorance....but what kind of eel is the striped one? and what kind of tank is he/she in?

Thanks everyone. They are wonderful animals and my favorite SW fish. :) If I could, I'd have a room full of tanks with nothing but eels. lol

Cindy, Isn't that like saying my pitbull is great with my kids? :confused:

I think your question is like comparing apples to oranges. My kids for the record, do not play with the eels. And it's like trying to compare the family labrador to the local junkyard dog. There is no comparison as it is more the individual temperment as well as how they are brought up. I've met way more docile and extremely friendly pittbulls than I have mean ones. :-? My experience with eels, past and present are that they can become trained quite easily with time and patience, just as with any animal.

For the curious, I have been bitten, its more like a pinch than a bite and I've been bitten far worse by my "pet" birds. There are other eels I would have a harder time trusting like perhaps a fimbriated or a large green eel but my eels are very calm and seem to enjoy the interaction. Not sure where the stigma came from that eels are bloodthirsty beast. :rolleyes:
It's not for everyone, but then eels aren't for everyone. ;)

MsBeanCtr said:
those are great pictures!! pardon my ignorance....but what kind of eel is the striped one? and what kind of tank is he/she in?

Thank you. The striped one is a zebra moray and it is in a fowlr 75g tank.

Wow, those are some awesome pictures. I've never seen anything like that in my life! Is that some type of liquid food in the 2nd picture? I'm a freshie so pardon me for my ignorance! Again, great pictures!!

No, actually it's shrimp (it's just blurred). That particular eel is a little skiddish still and very quick so while I can feed him by hand, I normally use a feeding stick to get him started and it was helpful in getting him out enough for a picture. :)

Ah, that makes sense... Like I said, pardon my ignorance! :) I think I'd use the stick all the time!!! LOL

Great pictures Cindy. They are gorgeous creatures. I bet with all the pets you have that you are quite comfortable with many pets that many of us would not get our fingers near. :)

Cindy, Sorry, my post was meant more tongue in cheek than it came across. I also know pitbulls that I would trust and more chiahuahuas that I wouldn't :)

I`ve gotten so I put their food in with a knife or a kabob stick but I have not gotten to the hand feeding yet for my snowflake eel. Have not gotten over the fear factor yet. LOL. Great pics Cindy.

I really want to get another eel. I loved my old snowflake eel. He had so much personality.

I am just to scared that a new eel would at the cleaner shrimps I am planning on having. That would be one expensive snack.

Let's stay on topic. cmor has already mentioned their comment was tongue-in-cheek. There's no reason to derail the thread.

Back
Top Bottom