Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-18-2006, 01:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Eliminate Camera Backflash from Glass?

Could someone please give more advise on how to eliminate camera backflash off the glass.

All I have read about in relation to this topic is the Macro setting. Is there anything else I can do?

Thankyou 8O

Davekyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:11 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

One thing is that anytime you take a flash picture and stand straight on to it - as opposed to off to on side, the camera lens will "see" the flash since. I bounces straight back. If you shot at an angle, the flash bounce doesn't where the camera can see it.

Either try that or setting your camera for a higher shutter speed w/out flash. Slower speeds without flash will require a tripod to keep the camera steady and avoid blur.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Shooting at an angle has a major downside too though. Anytime you angle through glass, you distort the subject on the opposite side.

Increase your ISO to gain a faster shutter speed. With increased ISO, comes increased digital noise, but it's the best option available unless you have a remote flash.
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I use auto with no flash and things turn out great. I also use a "museum" setting which turns out nicely as well. I am sure there are better ways to do it, but those work for me.
Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
Mines a cheapy, but I'll look for what settings I can find, all that info is a great help,
Davekyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to t3hRobG
My suggestion is to either look into a polarizing filter and try to cut down on the reflection this way, or cheat and put the camera close enough to the glass that you are not looking through the reflection.

The tactics in that link are a little extreme, but the science is the same even with a single polarizing filter and shooting at an angle.

Polarizing filters are very inexpensive, and even if you can't find one for your camera, you really just have to find one that you can hold infront of your camera's lense.

I used the latter method on a bus tour. Basically just put your camera right on the glass. The flash will reflect above the lense (with SLRs anyway). The only drawback will be the potential for reflection on the back of the tank. As long as there is something between you and the back wall though, it shouldn't be too terrible.

t3hRobG is offline   Reply With Quote

camera, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com