Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Essentially Algae Free Tanks

Had algae problems in these two 55 G tanks about a year ago. To control the algae, I decided to put a potted aquatic plant into the tank every month or so. The more complex plants used up the added nutrients in the water and today, the algae is limited to a small bit on a couple of the older plants.

The pots have small holes in the bottom to allow for the roots to grow and contain a layer of pea gravel, then a layer of organic potting soil, covered by a layer of the pea gravel.

The tanks both have one T5, 32 watt bulb, less than one watt of light per gallon of tank size, just enough for the Java fern, varieties of Amazon swords, Water Wisteria, Peace lily, Cryptocoryne and a couple of others I can't recall. Plus a hundred or so Fancy Guppies and some Corydoras.

Tanks aren't pretty, but I found out adding plants to the tank will eventually take care of an algae problem.

BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
looks pretty good,it would look nicer if they werent in pots. how big is it?

nearly a year of complete inactivity and still over 4 posts per day. dedication, eh?
alLexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Pretty common tactic actually. That's how we planted tank keepers keep algae in check. I have only spot algae in my tank but that's taken care of on a semi weekly basis.
Crepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Algae Free Tanks

Hello al...

The two tanks are 55 Gs. This turned out to be an expertiment just to see the affects the plants had on algae growth. Agreed, the pots could go, but the potting mixture fertilizes the plants for several months and using the pots doesn't disturb the substrate and dirty the tank water.

Not pretty, but my wife and I are the only ones seeing the tank, wife didn't like the pots either. The fish don't care how the tank looks, as long as the water conditions are good.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote

algae, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com