Feeding corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I usually use a turkey baster. Defrost your mysis in some tank water and if you can it is good to drain off the water you defrosted it in. The helps to wash out some of the excess nutrients and also when you fill it back up with tank water the second time it helps to bring it up to room temp so when you shoot it at the corals they don't freak out because it is such cold water. When you are feeding them don't actually blow the food at them with the baster. If you just let the food more or less fall out or give it just a tiny push with the bulb that is all you need. If you blow it out to fast the coral usually close up. Also i have found that if you feed your fish before hand it helps keep them away from you trying to target feed a little bit as well as provokes a feeding response from the coral with all the food in the water.

Edit: also you mods should probably move this into the saltwater section instead of show off photography.

Krill are quite a bit bigger then mysis. They will be to big to feed coral. If you have an anemone you can feed krill to them and a plate coral will take them if you chop them up into small pieces about the size of a pea or so depending on the size of the plate.

My anenome died, no more for me. My first BTA got sucked into my back chamber so I am done with those for awhile. I have been running the krill through a food processor. Really chopping it up. Feed it once or twice a week to the fish.

Back
Top Bottom