Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2005, 04:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Finally added Pics. Check em out!

I finally added the first photos in my gallery. Please everybody tell me what you think. Some are blurry so if anybody can give me tips on how to take clear pictures of fish please share! Thanks.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:11 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Pic are very good Pitt420dude! For the record, I've never been able to photograph any of my fish in groups.

You can improve your photos by:

Autofocus
Macro setting
Flash (most people frown in this due to possible reflections however, if you are at an angle away from your subject, no reflection). Flash also helps with the shutter speed, slowing your subject down.
Use the highest pixel level you can (1200x900) if possible. You can then edit to a smaller size. You can edit edit the brightness, contrast and gamma levels to sharpen your photo tremendously.
Tripod or a level surface - Most great photo opportunities are lost due to our movement in opening the shutter.

Just a few suggestions.

BTW. I answered your PM

Old 04-10-2005, 01:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Very nice!

Just out of curiousity, what are those rocks that make up the "caves on the right side"? And is that a DIY wet/dry?
Old 04-10-2005, 01:47 AM   #4

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i cant emphasize that enough! also is it neccessary for a 55 gal to have a sump filter? and how do you make one cause i want one really bad!
Old 04-10-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Thanks everybody. Skydvr, those are rocks picked up from the ocean floor on a scuba dive off of fort lauderdale. I do believe it is a DIY wet/dry cannister. My dad made it. I dont know if it is necessary for a 55 gal to have a sump filter, but I prefer overfiltration than under. The fish seem to like the extra movement. My father made it so I cannot tell you how I will try to describe the system for you though:

The picture labeled "black leggings on skimmer" is the beginning of the process where the water falls into it. Then I have a U Tube that is upside down and spans the back ledge of my tank. Through siphoning it takes the water from the in-tank skimmer and deposits it into a divided box. The water fills up one side of the box, falls over the divider and through gravity falls down a perforated PVC tube with a green filtration sock surrounding the pvc. It travels down a hose to the cannister you see underneath, falls over a cheesecloth bag filled with GAC. THe GAC sits on top of a rolled up piece of filtration material. This material that the GAC sits on top of filter mechanically and also houses bacteria. THe rest is in the picture. THere is a protein skimmer that I only use to airate the water sometimes since it is useless in a fw tank and the other thing is a pump that pumps it back up into the main tank. I also have a hob too on the right side of the tank.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to dr_girlfriend
sweet! I really like the cave

We weep for the bird's cry, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those who have voice.

Pinky: "What are those Brain?" (pointing to a group of people protesting)
Brain: "People without jobs Pinky."

N. California aquarium maintenance, scuba certification, and boat services.

Need computer services in N. California? Click here!
dr_girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com