Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Autumnsky - That rock piece sounds amazing. Please post pictures of it!

Moss really has almost no requirements. It will grow even in almost no lighting, with no extra CO2 and no ferts. Its ridiculous! Blue lights are generally for corals or saltwater tanks as far as I know (someone please correct me if I'm wrong there). White lights or pink lights are what you want to grow plants.

I do have some algae problems in two of my tanks. The first one is the 40 gal breeder in the pictures on this page. The lights are really strong and when I started it I just threw whatever plants I liked in there without thinking about their light requirements. All my low light/slow growing plants ended up covered in black beard algae and if I over fertilize I get some green spot algae too. That's mostly under control now as I've moved some plants around and put my lights on a timer. My hex tank also has some black beard algae, but it sits in front of the window which makes the lighting hard to control well. I got a large mystery snail and he managed to remove all the algae from all my plants in less than a week and has been keeping the algae problem in check. Hopefully it stays that way!

Parrisgg - If you've only had your tank up and running for a few days then it isn't cycled yet anyway so I would just make the switch. Just drain the tank, put the fish in a bucket with some tank water, scoop out the gravel, pour in the sand and you're done!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Today didn't work out...yet, for pics, maybe tonight or Friday.

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com