Fire belly toads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

th08tu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know they aren't fish, but hey, they live in an aquarium and swim in water, anyways love to know what you guys think.

Attachments

• DSCN1909.jpg
    DSCN1909.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN1919.jpg
    DSCN1919.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 137
haha thanks, I know my photography skills aren't the best, but these guys always seem to be in the weirdest poses so I couldn't help but post them

Someone had 2 listed on craigslist for free here last week. I started to see about getting them, but I didn't because I don't know anything about them and it would have been a spur of the moment decision.

I have to admit, I bought them at the spur of the moment this summer, I guess I was lucky and found that they are not too hard to take care of. They need water changes every week, between 75% and 100% because they secrete toxins into the water, they also need crickets every other day, fairly cool water and tank, with low to medium water movement. All my tank has is a small little waterfall that circulates the water and it is about 1/3 land and 2/3 water with some driftwood. they are really fun to watch and hilarious at times.

Ya, a FTS would be cool. I had some cool frogs a while back and i was thinking of maybe doing a white tree frog just because they are so cool. Nice frogs. O and FYI there is a amphibian part of a forum now. :)

haha really, I completely missed that. Man do I feel stupid. Oh well, mods feel free to move this thread, (not that you needed permission...) Yeah the tree frogs are cool too, I wish I had the time/setup for them too, but I think my girlfriend would shoot me if I brought home another tank. 8 and counting but there are still so many more options...

My son wants some. What do I need to keep them? I may break down and get some.

toads - Care Sheets Information about Oriental Fire-bellied Toads Aquatic/Land toads ,characteristics and sexing, Description of Diet, Diet-Carnivorous,Supplements, Nutrition and Usage - calcium and vitamins, Lighting and UVB,Tempatures and Humidity,

^This is a good care sheet^

the toads should be misted every day to keep the humidity high. You could get a fogger though and this would elimanate this need and make it easy. Besides, they look cool. There cheap and cool, especially if you have a aquarium you or breaking down for it which means you will have supplies.

That is a good guild, however I would like to add a few things. It mentions that they need 4 gallons per toad, however he doesn't mention the minimum tank size, which imo would be 10 gallons. I have a ten gallon for my two and I find it is a good size to give them room to move around and set up their own areas without having to worry about overcrowding. Also I am not sure how old your son is Bige, but these toads are toxic, not deadly, but they will upset your stomach and/or give you skin irritation or a rash after handling. Different people experience different effects, me personally I find the toads only are toxic if they are stressed so if I need to move them I do it as gently as possible. If your son is likely to be handling them, I wouldn't suggest it, as not only are the oils on our skin toxic for them, but more importantly you wouldn't want you son to get any side effects. I am not trying to make your decisions for you as I am sure you are a great parent, just giving you a heads up, they are great to watch and my nephew loves to come over and just stare into the tank, but he knows not to touch them.

Thanks for all the info. th08tu thanks for the toxic info. my son is five but if I told him it was toxic he would be in there all the time "testing" it. And it would stress it out. He would then chase his sister with it. So I will have to reconsider and see if the risk is worth reward.

that sounds like me when I was five, lol. I know they sell the lids for reptile cages with some type of locking device seperately, I am not experienced with them so I wouldn't be able to tell you whether or not a five year old would be able to work them, but it may be something to look into... Good luck!

These are cool little toads lol. I'm thinking about getting some for my 10g after I'm done using it as a grow out tank.

yeah, I had to sell them though because my fiance's cat was going after them. They are cool and very personable if you can find some when you are ready.

umm they are pretty straighforward. One thing I found is that although it says the prefer to sit in water it depends on the individual toad. I had one that almost never left the water, and I had another the would just keep itself wet, but usually sat on the driftwood I had. So when you design your tank I would make sure there are many different possibilities for them depending on what they prefer. My tank was about 1/3 land and 2/3 water, with a small little waterfall behind the land. If I was to redo it I would probably put in a little bit more land, and a larger "river" at the bottom of the waterfall because they seemed to like the running water. However make sure the majority of the water is still, as the other one never went near the moving water.
I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have on them as I had them for a while, and I did lot's of research, because well I might be a little obsessed with aquariums...

I had a few of these and they are pretty boring. Mine always had SO much trouble finding / eating their food. I ended up selling them. If you decided not to get them another animals you might consider is a leopard gecko. They're pretty easy to take care of and your son can hold them without any problems. However just warn him to never hold them by the tail because their tails can rip off. All reptiles have to be held gently, especially small ones like geckos.

Back
Top Bottom