Fish Snapshots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
Took some cool photos of some of the fish in my 37 gallon this week. Thought I'd share. :)

Tank inhabitants are:
Zebra danios
Black skirt Tetra
Black neon tetra
Blue Three spotted Gourami
Ghost shrimp
Zebra nerites
Otocinclus

And for anyone who is curious, Plants are:
Ludwigia Replens Broadleaf
Crypt Lucens
Crypt Crispatula
Crypt Retrospiralis
Rotala Rotundifolia
Chain Sword
Bacopa Australis
Java Moss
Crypt Wendtii Bronze
Sagittara Subulata

No photo touchups; these are taken with my Rebel Xti 50mm lens.

Blue Gourami-
img_1222745_0_d5a4d31115af026a01af51bd46506484.jpg

img_1222745_1_5371fa5621d713b8bb3dcfeda0f5fe9a.jpg

Black Skirts-
img_1222745_2_0c088e0c746becc15adb03212d1c5d0b.jpg

img_1222745_3_afa4bee7ee009b2adddf5690bf98b9fd.jpg

img_1222745_4_7a4e6465a0a01ba618a5f7772ff4c568.jpg

img_1222745_5_b800c7c1bf3494d5cc0c60641383b2c2.jpg

Thank you! #4 almost looks like a water color, but I like how the lens focused in on the plant in the foreground and then the one black skirt in the background and blurred everything else. :)

Dang! Those are some sweet pics! They look professional!

I seriously love the look of your tank. Very natural. Beautiful fish.

First off, I wish you did my tank. haha

Second, is that the same Blue Gourami or two of them. if so are they both females? I really like them... debating on getting a pair if they work for you.

Also, Could you post a full front picture of the tank... interested to see the whole ensemble.

Last edited:
First off, I wish you did my tank. haha

Second, is that the same Blue Gourami or two of them. if so are they both females? I really like them... debating on getting a pair if they work for you.

Also, Could you post a full front picture of the tank... interested to see the whole ensemble.

Thanks! You buy the plants, I'll come rescape it. lol Planting a tank can be addicting! ;)

That is the same Blue Gourami, just different views. I tried putting two females together and the one harassed the other unmercifully to the point where I had to take her back to the pet store. Gouramis are very interesting fish with great personalities, but I've found that unless you get two (or you stick with small peaceful types like the sparkling gourami) with very shy personalities or you have a very large tank, it can be very difficult to keep more than one gourami in a tank (regardless of whether they are male or female). They get along beautifully with other peaceful tankmates but can be very territorial towards each other. You should always have a back up plan when buying more than one gourami just incase they don't get along!

img_1228528_0_290f183a51662a175edc954d17ffde9a.jpg

img_1228528_1_36a6fe5468f30e582863049c66e9f8a1.jpg

Great info, thanks! Yeah I'll probably just get one then! haha

Do you think a German Blue Ram would be ok with it? I think they might get aggressive with each other.

Great pictures! I see you're from PA - so am I. I'm out in Pittsburgh but I'm from a place near Harrisburg.

Sure! I do love gouramis despite their territorial behavior. Mine always comes immediately to the glass when she sees me...she's very inquisitive. I'd say a that most gouramis (even dwarfs) would do best in a bare minimum of 20 gallons. Honeys or sparkling gouramis may be ok in a smaller tank however.

Do you have the water parameters needed for GBRs? They prefer a PH of <7 and soft to medium hard water. If you had a decent sized tank with plenty of live plants as well as rocks and driftwood for use as hiding places they'd probably be fine together.

Thanks! Yep, Pennsylvania. I am located right smack between Harrisburg and Gettysburg.

Nice! I worked for a while in the Adidas outlet in Gettysburg! haha

I've decided against the GBR because they need very warm water. Too warm for my zebra danios. But still interested in the Gourami! I'm getting a 29g at the beginning of the summer

We shop at the Gburg outlet all the time..much more convenient then running up to Hershey or the Lancaster outlets. :)

I recommend you get one..I really enjoy mine! Good choice on upgrading to the 29 gallon..you'll love it so much more than our 10 gal. Have you ever made the trip to That Fish Place in Lancaster? Totally worth the drive.

Coleallensmom said:
We shop at the Gburg outlet all the time..much more convenient then running up to Hershey or the Lancaster outlets. :)

I recommend you get one..I really enjoy mine! Good choice on upgrading to the 29 gallon..you'll love it so much more than our 10 gal. Have you ever made the trip to That Fish Place in Lancaster? Totally worth the drive.

Yeah, it's crazy there even though it's like an hour drive to Lancaster! Haha. Is that where you got your gourami? What about your skirt tetras? I like those too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App

Yep, I bought the gourami at TFP. Petsmart and Petco have them but charge more $ for them. The black skirts were an impulse buy I bought at Petsmart. Saw them schooling in one of their tanks and just couldn't resist.

Back
Top Bottom