Fry platys!! Hummmm asked for all boys :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazygrammy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is why I'm never going to local place again. Hers a pic of the fry seconds old and one four days old. I am changing the water every day and feeding them flakes twice a day. I tried to tell the guy I got the "male" haha platy from that it just had baby's he said oh then you got somewhere els eerrr

image-2985465264.jpg

image-2985465264.jpg

Second pic is today :)

Attachments

• image-1047371293.jpg
    image-1047371293.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 119
Cut the guy some slack. It's hard to tell a male from a female when all the fish hide in one corner together.

Oh I'm really not trying to be mean at all. The guy also said they were Molly's. Then sold me a black skirt tetra saying it was a Grammie. I found out what it was here. Just about everything he told me was wrong. So not trying to be mean just frustrated.

Yep way to many. A friend is going to come get the male but not for three weeks :( ill have a lot of prego platys lol:fish1:

Typical store person imo, you get a few good ones though. It's simple really, check when they're in the tank, find a male, catch that specific one then double check it in the bag :D but some of them don't know so it's better to ask for a specific fish so you know you're getting what you want :) Good luck with your fish, your fry are real sweet!

If they have had any sort of contact with a male in the store then they can store sperm for 6-7 months and keep on giving birth. They can give birth about 6 times in 6 months and each time they can have 10+ fry.

Oh and crazygrammy, do you know how to check if your platies are male or female? So you can make sure if you are buying any more that they are female. But Samzter is correct on saying that they can store sperm, so fingers crossed you get no more surprises :)

Typical store person imo, you get a few good ones though. It's simple really, check when they're in the tank, find a male, catch that specific one then double check it in the bag :D but some of them don't know so it's better to ask for a specific fish so you know you're getting what you want :) Good luck with your fish, your fry are real sweet!

I had done a lot of reading and looking before I went out to get them. Then got to the store and looked and tought hummm they look like females and males!! Then looked again at the tank, tank said Molly's all male. I thought wow I really thought I knew what I was looking for. Talked to the guy and he said nope they are "males and Molly's". Next time ill listen to what I think and not be told I have it wrong tell I look again. Lol this is where my new IPhone will help last phone could not get on the net :facepalm:

If they have had any sort of contact with a male in the store then they can store sperm for 6-7 months and keep on giving birth. They can give birth about 6 times in 6 months and each time they can have 10+ fry.

I know we have 3 others that are already prego! That's why I went ahead and bought the 10gal tank. Oh we'll in sure I can find a place that will take them. My friends are wanting some already. So I will be looking a pics to make sure I give them the right sex :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom