Gboy & NuNu's RSM250 update!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my LFS finally lets me buy clippings to frag my own
$10 for a baggie full he has tons of clippings lol
now I need a frag tank

Hey thanks everyone, i really appreciate it!!

Corals havent been looking too happy lately, so i'll be doing a pwc today. All the zoas arent opening up fully on that rock so i moved some. Its weird, the colony of teal palys is wilting too. Idk what is happening with those but they'll be fine in a couple days. Could be because there is some weird string algae around. Again, a pwc should help. But all sps look good so im happy bout that! And the fishy are active as usual

needmorecowbell said:
Stringy algae? Uh oh.. Maybe bryopsis. Or hair algae.

Thanks chris.

Its not hair algae, heres a pic. Its only on the sandbed really..its nasty stuff

Attachments

• image-2384914860.jpg
    image-2384914860.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 74
Gboy66 said:
Thanks chris.

Its not hair algae, heres a pic. Its only on the sandbed really..its nasty stuff

It looks more like bacteria than true algae. Cyano can sometimes come up like that if it grows in medium to high flow. It usually won't grow in good flow but it's been known to happen. If you can pull some of it out you should be able to tell by the consistency and the nasty odor. Can you tell one way or the other? It's hard to see properly in the pic.

CorallineAlgae said:
It looks more like bacteria than true algae. Cyano can sometimes come up like that if it grows in medium to high flow. It usually won't grow in good flow but it's been known to happen. If you can pull some of it out you should be able to tell by the consistency and the nasty odor. Can you tell one way or the other? It's hard to see properly in the pic.

I guess it could be! Never thought of that. Ya it is nasty it gets stuck on corals and sometimes the fish. It was gone for awhile but just came back a little. It is really gooey and strigy. More pwc's?

I was dealing with the same thing for a few months. I belive it to be bacteria. What I did was change from BRS GFO to Kent's marine as well as cut my lights back 2 hours a day. About three or four days later it was all gone.

jjamontan said:
I was dealing with the same thing for a few months. I belive it to be bacteria. What I did was change from BRS GFO to Kent's marine as well as cut my lights back 2 hours a day. About three or four days later it was all gone.

I agree with all of that. BRS does carry a higher grade of GFO but I don't have any experience with it. I know their basic GFO is questionable.

How long do your lights stay on for Goby? If I remember it wasn't that long of a cycle but I have a memory like a rabbit tail.

CorallineAlgae said:
I agree with all of that. BRS does carry a higher grade of GFO but I don't have any experience with it. I know their basic GFO is questionable.

How long do your lights stay on for Goby? If I remember it wasn't that long of a cycle but I have a memory like a rabbit tail.

Dont you need a reactor for GFO? I dont have one..

I think they are on from 10-8 pm? I know thats actually quite a bit. What should i turn them down too?

Gboy66 said:
Dont you need a reactor for GFO? I dont have one..

I think they are on from 10-8 pm? I know thats actually quite a bit. What should i turn them down too?

I'm going to guess you can stick a pouch of it in your filter or something somewhere. I dont know though.

Yes you can. It won't be as effective but it will definitely work. Chemipure elite has Gfo in it and u just pop that stuff in a filter.

Yes you can. It won't be as effective but it will definitely work. Chemipure elite has Gfo in it and u just pop that stuff in a filter.

Absolutely. I'd recommend a fine mesh bag like an old Chemipure bag or The Bag from seachem. A coarse mesh bag can let out some fine particles that you really don't want in your tank.

I'd leave tham as is for now. That isn't to long at all IMHO. It's probably phosphates anyway, unless your bulbs are getting old which I doubt.

I WAS happy with the new scape...until it started burning all my zoas and palys!! I need suggestions...!

I have, the ones doing poorly are at the sandbed. But idk what to do about the scape. I need rock to put them on and right now they are just too high.

Back
Top Bottom