Gboy & NuNu's RSM250 update!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Benamayer said:
Dont turn the heat up it is useless against marine ich. There are really only 2 effective options, copper meds or hypo... Maybe snag a used 20 gallon and whip up a QT real quick...

Good to know. Mine hit fast and hard so I didn't really have much time to research. I retract my previous statement then. :)

skywhitney said:
Good to know. Mine hit fast and hard so I didn't really have much time to research. I retract my previous statement then. :)

There's tons of articles on both hypo and copper. The best way to deal with ich is to not have to deal with it at all and it CAN be prevented... Always QT new fish! And freshwater ich can be treated by raising the temp, unfortunately not with marine ich.

Benamayer said:
Well that's always the issue unfortunately is catching it 8-( How is the fish behaving? A fish with ich will typically be flashing, breathing heavy, cloudy eyes... If it were my tank, I would just wait it out. I've been scared several times due to specs of sand on my fish. Another time I thought 2 of my fish had ich and it was lymphocytosis. No fun...

You would cycle it by taking media out of your main tank. Some people have a sponge in their sump collecting BB so if they need a QT they have it ready to go.

Oh this is relieving, the fish is acting fine. It could have come up because she was being picked on, and she does have a split back fin, but she is swimming about, breathing normal, and definitly not flashing.

I do have BB on a sponge if i need it!

I guess i can google how to make a trap

I mean you will need to keep an eye on the fish... The ich wont go 0-60 in a split second, those are symptoms that you would generally see in time. It's kind of the situation where you need to weigh your options. Wait it out and see how the fish is, or try to QT it and need to tear down the whole
tank to catch it. How long has the fish been in the tank for?

Benamayer said:
I mean you will need to keep an eye on the fish... The ich wont go 0-60 in a split second, those are symptoms that you would generally see in time. It's kind of the situation where you need to weigh your options. Wait it out and see how the fish is, or try to QT it and need to tear down the whole
tank to catch it. How long has the fish been in the tank for?

Okay. And a day...i think i'll wait it out and feed with garlic every meal. This looks to be a healthy fish..even though i cant find her lol

A cheap little 5 gallon tank makes an ok QT. All you do is pull water from the main tank just like a water change to fill it, add some floss from the main tank if you have it and put an air stone under the foss. Cycling doesn't really matter if the fish is already sick with ich though because even if it was cycled the meds would kill the bacteria.

Cycled quarantine tanks are useful for holding new arrivals. Soon as meds are added the bacteria is usually toast. Having a flower pot is good for a hiding place.

CorallineAlgae said:
A cheap little 5 gallon tank makes an ok QT. All you do is pull water from the main tank just like a water change to fill it, add some floss from the main tank if you have it and put an air stone under the foss. Cycling doesn't really matter if the fish is already sick with ich though because even if it was cycled the meds would kill the bacteria.

Cycled quarantine tanks are useful for holding new arrivals. Soon as meds are added the bacteria is usually toast. Having a flower pot is good for a hiding place.

Wow, this makes so much sense!! So you moniter the levels, and just keep on doing water changes? Like a fish in cycle?

Bearchumjs said:
I've heard Rubbermaid tubs can work as well. How's the little girl doing today?

Better! I slept in the family room last night (no, not because im obsessed lol) and as soon as i woke up she was swimming all around the tank! Easy to see her too because shes so colorful! I went closer to check out the problem...and the dots dont look like salt anymore...they look hinda like white scabs or just blotches!

So that is good. I wont be setting up a QT...but for my next fish...oh ya.

Gboy66 said:
Better! I slept in the family room last night (no, not because im obsessed lol) and as soon as i woke up she was swimming all around the tank! Easy to see her too because shes so colorful! I went closer to check out the problem...and the dots dont look like salt anymore...they look hinda like white scabs or just blotches!

So that is good. I wont be setting up a QT...but for my next fish...oh ya.

You had the Ich scare! I'm glad she looks to be doing better. :) That's good news!

Bearchumjs said:
I've heard Rubbermaid tubs can work as well.

Great advice. I've even used a bucket a couple of times. -_-' A small el cheapo heater is the other necessary item. I just use a lil' 25 watt preset one.

Gboy66 said:
Wow, this makes so much sense!! So you moniter the levels, and just keep on doing water changes? Like a fish in cycle?

Yep. I do water changes from the main tank to use as QT water and the fresh saltwater goes in the big tank. That way the display tank is as healthy as possible when you make the transfer for the new fish and she'll be already acclimated for the most part. Easy peasy.

Thank god we dont think its ich... But her fins are a bit nipped so hoefully that heals quick which i think it will, our water quality is great for some reason! Haha! She is now swimming in the front of the tank alot more, and everyone has already accepted her. The clown, hawk, and goby are all nice to him now ;)

Here she is!

Attachments

• image-3884900690.jpg
    image-3884900690.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 77
  • image-1049701654.jpg
    image-1049701654.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 98
We dont know yet... Haha and
1 black clown
1 regular occy clown
1 flame hawk
1 marine betta
1 foxface
1 engineer goby
1 flame wrasse

Todays pic. Nem looks good on the left.. Lots of gsp growth on the right... Large torch in the middle and wrasse is hard to see under the arch

Attachments

• image-1832184807.jpg
    image-1832184807.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 98
I thought this was a pretty cool pic :) how do you guys like it so far?

Attachments

• image-4249617899.jpg
    image-4249617899.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 94
Back
Top Bottom