Gboy & NuNu's RSM250 update!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your monti will probably be fine. If the polyps are out, it is most likely happy, just make sure they arent overextending. If that's the case, they are using a lot more energy to try to find food because they aren't getting enough, that could account for the color. Mine has changed like crazy and sometimes it's a light pink, other times a metallic red. It also grows in spurts, so I wouldn't be too worried. Sorry about the troubles though, but just give it time.

Gboy66 said:
*sigh* Guys, can i vent a little? Bummer day in the tank today. Nothing dead, just im not too happy with my corals!

First of all, the Acan is bleaching..i have moved it around to a lower light. it just bums me out because our water is great..and i really wanted this coral to thrive.

Also, the monti doesnt look great. Sort of pinkish and however much i move it, the color doesnt improve. The polyps are always out...but it isnt growing! I heard these things grew all the time!

Which brings me to my next prob..the corals dont grow! Sure..they are always open and look ok..but i dont see tons of new growth like i think i should! I feel like we arent good coral owners.

Minor prob here..the tank was hot so i added a bag of ice made from tap. Well it was full when i added it..then i took out a near empty bag! Ahhh all the tap went in the tank. The bag must have broken. This really just ticked me off. Ideas on what else to put ice in??

Next..we might have dino. I see these weird bubbles on corals (whish i blow and suction off) and on the rocks. *double sigh*

Lastly, i have a thread on this..but my skimmer doesnt skim. Ive been messing with it but it just wont go.

Sorry i am a bummer today. I wanted to post this here instead of making like 5 more threads..:/

Ok. Here we go- acans don't need a lot of light. I keep almost all mine in indirect lighting (under a cliff, on the side, etc). Just move it and spot feed to bring back it's color.

As far as the growth: A watched pot never boils. Enough said. Lol

Over heating: I've heard of red sea tanks overheating quite a bit. Most breakdown and buy a small chiller over time. What was the temp? Maybe try adding another powered vent fan into the hood. Not that expensive.

Dino: don't blow it off the rocks- just siphon it off. I had luck in getting rid of it in one of the shop tanks by doing 3 kalkwasser dips over two weeks. No water changes! Just make sure you watch and accommodate for other levels dropping. It was bad and then gone from my tank in 3 weeks

Skimmer: patience grasshopper. It takes time to break in.

MUCH APPRECIATED GUYS! Wow. You all have a way of making me feel alot better about my problems. The corals have been moved, im looking into a chiller, and i'll get right on that dino. You guys are so great, cant thank enough..

My acan also does better in low light and low flow. In the higher light and flow, it is not as full and puffed up.

Took the advice..but still more bleaching. It cant be helped. Ill just leave them and see (acan and monti)

Some cool feeding pics. Everyone was out and hungry! Not the best quality, jack is terrible at taking pics lol, but most of the fish got in the few pics! Cool!!

Attachments

• image-2879242040.jpg
    image-2879242040.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 148
  • image-3397162731.jpg
    image-3397162731.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 119
  • image-2047429449.jpg
    image-2047429449.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 128
  • image-4055577138.jpg
    image-4055577138.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 116
Are you spot feeding your fish??? That's dedication. Lol. You are on you way to nps corals in no time. Lol

Jlsardina said:
Are you spot feeding your fish??? That's dedication. Lol. You are on you way to nps corals in no time. Lol

Lol ya! Betta isnt assertive enough to come out an get food by himself yet lol. Ha! I just want my sps to grow!

Thanks mr. Adam! The betta is pretttty neat

If your wanting sps growth, I'd start dosing. Ive started and it's like all my corals started growing a ton now. The bonsai which I added about a month ago is almost completely purple and green (it was a brown out) and is encrusting the rock very fast. Same with my Monti, stylo, and purple plasma acro.

Adam you are an sps monster. Tell me what to dose and i will!!! :) haha thanks though, i love the betta and he is getting more comfortable.... Little by little :)

Lol, not really, I'm starting to become obsessed though.. Calcium magnesium and alkalinity are what you need to worry about, you shouldn't be alk and calc are the main two, mag keeps them from bonding as much in the water column. Two parts are super easy to use if you want to go that route. If you want something cheaper but more math, do calcium carbonate and baking soda, just make sure whatever you dose, you dose it regularly, you don't want spikes, just smooth levels.

Alright thanks dude!! The line of purchases are

Chiller- found a great (new) one for 150. Its a 1/10th chiller, we dont want a huge one.

ATO- when we go on vacation for 3 weeks we will need one... Found a jbj for 35 bucks!! :)

Reef test kit- dont kill me... I know we should have one...

Dosing- whatever adam tells me to dose :D

Hmmmm, I was under the impression dosing wouldn't help unless your coral is depleting the elements. If one starts dosing does it actually promote growth if you already have good alk and calcium levels?

Back
Top Bottom