Goniopora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarkAnviL

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here is a new addition to my aquarium, some green goniopora. Very good, healthy specimen. The guy I got it from was getting rid of it because his ocellaris clown started hosting it and the goniopora wasn't reacting good to it. Hopefully my clown will leave it alone lol.

don't be hard on yourself if it fails. these are allegedly hard to keep in closed systems. i got 2 of them a couple months ago (a green one like yours, and a purple)and both are still doing well, but almost everything i read says the odds are against us.
here are mine:
img_1091725_0_e64b40db7513a490406e68031d20fb2e.jpg

img_1091725_1_26192fbfe8d7386e2575131898b855ce.jpg

good luck for both of us!

don't be hard on yourself if it fails. these are allegedly hard to keep in closed systems. i got 2 of them a couple months ago (a green one like yours, and a purple)and both are still doing well, but almost everything i read says the odds are against us.
here are mine:

good luck for both of us!

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't had the chance to do any research on this coral before I bought it. I got it from a fellow hobbyist at a huge dicount, only $20. He bought it for $90 and wanted to get rid of it. So I figured it was to good of a deal to pass up lol. Your green one does look a little different then mine though, wonder if it is the same kind or not.

i think they are pretty much the same. i have noticed these like high flow, so that's why the green one looks a little different.
the purple one is not alveopora, because it has 24 petals per polyp. it would have 12 to be alveopora.

Gonippora seem to be a little tricky. A friend gave me one he had that seemed to be in decline. It had been "stung" by a Bubble Coral and was not opening/extending. It's flourishing now in my tank about 13"-15" under a 50 watt HQI (14000° K) bulb, with a moderate flow, and regular target feedings (a combination of Kent Zooplex, Kent Chromaplex, and live Nannochloropsis). Having it out of range of a Bubble Coral can't hurt too! lol

Back
Top Bottom