Good Camera Recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FWIW the nikon d3100 is meant to compete with the T3 and they were at the same price just a few weeks ago during the black friday sale. We have the d3100 now and it's great. Either way, get a good dslr and you'll be making a huge leap forward over basic p&s digital cameras.

Yes I agree! I also agree with the post above that lens selection is important. The difference in quality I get for close up shots from the stock 18-55mm and the Tamron 60mm doesn't compare. If you are wanting extremely close up detail with minimal noise and good color balance, you will most likely end up investing (or maybe the proper phrase would be "blowing your money on") a macro lens. A "value" macro lens will still end up costing you quite a bit more than just the camera body of a d3100 or T3.

The nice thing about these dslrs is as fort said, changing your lenses. I'm hoping to get a nice macro lens in the near future as well, stuck with the 18-55 kit lens. Still takes great photos though.

Fort's pics with the T3 kinda made my mind up. I think that $400 is reasonable for that kind of result. It was also mentioned to be user friendly which is appealing. I have never had a photography course, but I would like to join this club of photo geeking.

A lot of the terms go over my head, so I end up googling everything. I will go shopping this weekend. I really look forward to posting some decent pics of my tank and fish. It's embarassing to work so hard and have no proof of how gorgeous the fish look. The blur and blue'ing have to piss people off, and for that I apologize for making you suffer. Help is on the way.

Thank you!

Just remember those macro shots are with a different lens that will run you quite a bit more money.

The blue problem is fixed with proper white balance.

Also post some results here when you pick out the new cam! Never want to miss good pics :)

Canon T3 vs Nikon D3100 - Our Analysis

There's a good comparison between the two, they were the same price a few weeks back at walmart but I don't know if the nikons are still on sale. If the canons are $100+ cheaper then I'd go that route for sure if cost is the biggest factor.

I haven't shot video with ours yet but will be soon. I don't have an epic reef tank like Forts but here's a couple of photos of plants and a bird. I've yet to start fiddling with the settings.

This is with the 18-55mm stock kit lens.

emersed java moss
img_2246741_0_76170ee081e02030951ba07b3be8ddce.jpg

l.repens
img_2246741_1_f7e37d2242aa3af64eb736251c864654.jpg

And BMO attacking my shirt.
img_2246741_2_937e4b26e2fb76c4ec5c554f31193ddb.jpg

Those are some excellent pics Jeta. Thanks

I've bought quite a few Nikons in the past. Granted, they were junkers that I thought Mega Pixel was all the rating and understanding that I needed. Not so, eventhough that is how I've been pitched.
I don't like Ashton Kutcher, so I think the Canon is the way to go. Change of pace in brand and gear.

Looking forward to getting one tomorrow.

No, I went to Best Buy last night. I checked it out. I liked it so much after sleeping on it that I went to Walmart today to see if they had a better price. Both are going for $449.00. I talked to a friend of mine and, low and behold, he has one that he bought for $389. He said that he was considering getting the T4i. He thinks his wife might have gotten it for him for Christmas and he would sell me his T3 for $250 if I wanted it.

I'm going to see him on Wednesday and hopefully work out a deal to save a couple bucks and buy used. Seems like it makes sense and it's meant to be if it works out.

Patiently waiting...

That's cool I was looking at Walmart today too. Wish I had tons of money lol. I think I'll check eBay to see what I can find. Good luck

No, I went to Best Buy last night. I checked it out. I liked it so much after sleeping on it that I went to Walmart today to see if they had a better price. Both are going for $449.00. I talked to a friend of mine and, low and behold, he has one that he bought for $389. He said that he was considering getting the T4i. He thinks his wife might have gotten it for him for Christmas and he would sell me his T3 for $250 if I wanted it.

I'm going to see him on Wednesday and hopefully work out a deal to save a couple bucks and buy used. Seems like it makes sense and it's meant to be if it works out.

Patiently waiting...

You can't go wrong with the T3, I'd rather have my T3 over a Nikon any day (sorry Nikon guys, I'm a canon enthusiast).

Just snapped a few more for ya!!! Just to get you excited! ;)

Attachments

• image-2580128444.jpg
    image-2580128444.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 33
  • image-2393432746.jpg
    image-2393432746.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 52
  • image-2810897689.jpg
    image-2810897689.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 53
  • image-1104152719.jpg
    image-1104152719.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 33
  • image-3731627409.jpg
    image-3731627409.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 51
  • image-2464076240.jpg
    image-2464076240.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 41
Not to hijack but I'm going camera shopping today. I'm using the ummm... It's the baby's first "real" Xmas so.... We need to have a GOOD camera ;)

Not to hijack but I'm going camera shopping today. I'm using the ummm... It's the baby's first "real" Xmas so.... We need to have a GOOD camera ;)

What a scammer! This sounds like something I'd do.

The debate between Canon and Nikon is almost as fierce as the debate between apple fans and android fans. Personally I think for entry level DSLRs (and entry level people operating the gear) either brand will provide you with good results if you spend some time reading about how to take pictures.

The best results will come from getting over the fear factor of shooting in full manual and setting up custom white balance since the auto white balance sensors get so confused by aquarium lighting.

For less than $1000 I get images comparable to folks with multi-thousand dollar setups. The entry level stuff is good. I can't see it ever being worth an additional $5k (or more) to make my images 3% better.

But then again if you would have told me years ago after setting up my first planted tank that I would be spending thousands on a reef tank I would have laughed. Funny thing about hobbies... And how they compel us to spend our money.

I just added more pics from the Canon T3 over here, if anyone is interested :)
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...rimless-reef-build-195353-20.html#post2247891

Last edited:
I'm going to go ahead & disagree. Sure you can get good shots with entry level gear but Pro gear is there for a reason.

This mentality is why 75% of the wedding/portrait "photographers" charge $500 using entry level gear and always get disappointing results.

While entry level gear is ok for a hobbyist, there is far more than a 3% difference when you jump into semi pro or pro gear.

Back
Top Bottom