Good Camera Recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you point out an example to me? I don't see it. I think the person makes far more of a difference than the gear.

What a scammer! This sounds like something I'd do.

The debate between Canon and Nikon is almost as fierce as the debate between apple fans and android fans. Personally I think for entry level DSLRs (and entry level people operating the gear) either brand will provide you with good results if you spend some time reading about how to take pictures.

The best results will come from getting over the fear factor of shooting in full manual and setting up custom white balance since the auto white balance sensors get so confused by aquarium lighting.

For less than $1000 I get images comparable to folks with multi-thousand dollar setups. The entry level stuff is good. I can't see it ever being worth an additional $5k (or more) to make my images 3% better.

But then again if you would have told me years ago after setting up my first planted tank that I would be spending thousands on a reef tank I would have laughed. Funny thing about hobbies... And how they compel us to spend our money.

I just added more pics from the Canon T3 over here, if anyone is interested :)
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/forts-57-gallon-rimless-reef-build-195353-20.html#post2247891

Awesome pics Justin and I'm going with the T3 and as for being a scammer? lol great minds think alike huh? lol

fort384
I just added more pics from the Canon T3 over here, if anyone is interested :)
fort's 57 gallon Rimless Reef Build

What a beautiful tank! I love the clean lines= very euro. I dig that style.

Your shots with the T3 just keep getting better. You really have that thing dialed in. I can't wait to get one. I need a new toy to keep me busy. If I can get shots half that good, I will be thrilled.

And Convict's excuse for getting a new camera is dag-gone brilliant. I have a kid that I can put to good use too. Thank you:)

Can you point out an example to me? I don't see it. I think the person makes far more of a difference than the gear.

I should qualify this in terms of context - mostly talking about macro/still photography. I think for something like wedding photography I could see where better gear could make a difference.

fort384

What a beautiful tank! I love the clean lines= very euro. I dig that style.

Your shots with the T3 just keep getting better. You really have that thing dialed in. I can't wait to get one. I need a new toy to keep me busy. If I can get shots half that good, I will be thrilled.

Thanks for the compliments!

Hey Fort,

Would you be able to post 2 pictures of the same close up subject ?
First one with the standard T3 lens and the 2nd one with your Tamara 60mm Macro.

Would love to be able to compare. I have not even got my Tank setup yet and already I am looking to spend money on secondry equipment and the T3 looks like a great option.

D

Wish you had posted earlier :) I had all the gear out today and took some pics, but it is all put away now. It takes some time to setup everything and shut down the tank to shoot... I can offer a comparison of the same subject, 1 using the stock 18-55mm lens (the one from October in the pic below) and the next using the Tamron 60mm Macro from today.

However, it isn't a 1 for one comparison, because the subject has changed (grown), and also because I have learned much more about using the camera and setting it up since then. But anyway, it will give you an idea...

img_2294301_0_65043c025b1d468dc398c823b55ea3e1.jpg

img_2294301_1_788e75198fed06bb465153a19085e48c.jpg

Sorry for the bad timing but thanks for the effort ;)
Wow thats a significant difference. Now that you know more do you think you could do better with the standard ?

The reason I ask is I don't want to spring for a macro right away but still want to get some decent pics. (my wallet has a hole in it after my purchase of 2x Vortech MP10's today)

Understood... the MP10s are awesome though, you will like 'em :)

Yes, I think the opportunity to take good pics with the stock lens is there... it does pretty well, so long as you aren't trying to get too close. It will not focus up next to the glass like the macro will.

Here are some photos I have taken with the stock lens. Not macro, but still decent photos:

img_2294328_0_b1aad41fa51947c16fe468f8fe67b0bf.jpg

img_2294328_1_db124207b0d228f72026436128a243a5.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture43801.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture44075.jpg

Love that last one of the Clown it looks like you could have taken it on a real reef.

All of them are nice. I think I am on board with getting one soon.

Hope Canon pays you commision ? LOL

LOL, I have enjoyed it. I am not really particularly married to it though. You can get comparable results with the comparable Nikon model. In fact I have been told the image sensor in the low end Nikon is better than the canon low end sensor.

I went with Canon because another member here uses Canon and he taught me a lot about how to take pics - figured it would be easy if I had the same controls. Also, my mother had a bunch of old canon lens for her old analog SLR camera, and I figured I could use them with an adapter ring.

Turns out I could mount them to the new DSLR body (I got the adaptor ring) but the lenses turned out to be not so great, so I rarely use them, except the telephoto occasionally.

Funny how things work out :) I will have to ping you on those settings once I am up and running with my setup.

Back
Top Bottom