Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good Camera Recommendations?

Ok, I'm caving here. I've had it. I see all these beautiful pictures from people sharing what they have in their tanks with the world, and I'm jealous.

I have bought one crappy digital camera after another. I have tried all the settings over the years and still get blurry junk photos of my pride and joy.

Can anyone recommend a decent reasonably priced camera that I can buy to capture stunning clear pictures of my fish.......and even if they won't stay still? And something user friendly. I'm not a complete moron, but I have my moments and have to try hard with things that come naturally to others.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I run a Canon 7D & love it. I mostly use Sigma EX lenses due to the good performance & lower cost than Canon.

Color is the hardest thing to balance when photographing the aquarium due to the over saturation of blue. A camera with good white balance control is a must.

A tripod is also pretty important to ensure sharpness. For extreme close ups, a 100mm Macro lens works well.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tagging along here... I too need a new camera to take those up close pictures that don't get blurry but I cannot aford the Canon 7D prices for that camera are way up there.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use a canon EOS T3 Rebel. Walmart for 399.00 which considering the competition in the DSLR market is about the best for the price (just offended Nikon enthusiast, haha). Some of photos from my two fresh and my two saltwater tanks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3173720737.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	138886   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2489436861.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	138887  

Name:	image-2424353554.jpg
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	138888   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3895979093.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	138889  

Name:	image-3282739767.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	138890   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-491703984.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	138891  

Name:	image-4065876211.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	138892   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2323285815.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	138893  

Name:	image-991595652.jpg
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	138894  
Old 12-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readingexcalibur View Post
I use a canon EOS T3 Rebel. Walmart for 399.00 which considering the competition in the DSLR market is about the best for the price (just offended Nikon enthusiast, haha). Some of photos from my two fresh and my two saltwater tanks...
+1 on the rebel t3. Bought 1 a year ago and love it. Another thing I've learned is don't go cheap on the sd card either cause your gonna need a faster one to benefit from that camera
Old 12-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Reading!! A fellow Tropheus lover. I knew there were more othen than myself=-) Miss my wolf pack. I had 20 and have been contemplating doing another "Ode to the Troph" tank.

So, a Canon T3 huh? $399 was a little more than I was willing to shell out, but I understand that there is a direct correlation between minimum cost and forum pic crappyness. I think I will go have a look.

As for the Canon 7D Mr Mike...........YOWZERS! That is an expensive piece. Nice, I'll give you that. But I would expect to spend that kind of dough and have the thing unbox itself and take pics + upload to voice command from my couch. OUCH! I do appreciate the recommendation and the insight on white balance. That is a bit of unfamiliar waters that I have to get associated with because blue is one of the many problems that I have had.......and blur. Lot's of blur.

Please keep the tips coming and camera recommendations. I have been an admitted cheap skate in the camera dept. I have spent less than $200 more than 3 times in the past 3 years and have had nothing but disappointment. I do have a tripod, but I will have to step up the cash.

And YourR6Rocks, thanks for the point on the card. I did not know that. Sounds like putting snow tires and regular gas in a 911 metaphor with a camera. I get it. Thanks for the heads up there. And that would be 2 for the Rebel.

Oh, can someone please respond after reading this sentence. I want to make sure I am still here with the Mayan Calendar end of the world and all today?
Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

It was pricey but worth it. I also do a lot of sports photography and indoor/portrait work.

I used a Canon Rebel XTi before this and despite being upwards of 10 years old was a totally acceptable camera.

Healthy adjustable ISO & White Balance ratings are what you're looking for. Don't get caught up on MegaPixels. A 10 MP camera will still print clearly to poster size prints and 10 is low by today's standards. 10-12 MP will still allow you to crop photos afterwards without loosing too much detail. Lower MP also means lower file size which means smaller memory cards required.

Sharpness is highly derived by technique and lens. In my opinion a cheaper body with a better lens will yield better results than a bad lens on a better body. The kit lenses even in Canon are generally pretty bad. If you can buy body only then a lens separately. 18-55 is not a lot of length in a lens and won't let you get very close up.

Use of timer settings, tripods etc help technique wise to capture sharp images.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm I have the nikon d3100. If you buy a good lens to go with it the photos come out cool!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I use the Canon EOS T3 Rebel as well. If you look at any pictures I take, they are all on factory settings as I have had no time to figure out how to make adjustments. Great camera without knowing what to mess with.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I use the Canon EOS T3 Rebel as well. If you look at any pictures I take, they are all on factory settings as I have had no time to figure out how to make adjustments. Great camera without knowing what to mess with.
Cant go wrong with this camera, i have it also however i believe most photos of my tank have been taken with my cruddy iphone 4s. With a good macro lens and and extension tube you can get some crazy sweet close ups. Ive yet to play around with it much. I might have to take some pics with it and see what i can come up with.

Tags
camera

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com