Help ID this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joansy01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I'm completely new to tropical fish I bought 4 "neons" but the 4th is completely different from the other 3. It's slightly smaller than the rest and has a really unusual tail could anyone tell me what type of fish I've been given? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424122873.507109.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Male Endlers livebearer (y)

Hardy, active, colorful, easy to care for.

img_3162276_0_129251fd25d138e8afeb899ee921777a.jpg

Cool thanks so a little different then :) what sort of size do they get or should I have a couple more? Seems to be getting on well with the neons so far anyway

Cool thanks so a little different then :) what sort of size do they get or should I have a couple more? Seems to be getting on well with the neons so far anyway

Definitely different! Males are in the 1" range, peaceful unless you're a female Endler :roll eyes: Males can be kept together without problems, they tend to be flashier and more showoff-isn with other boys around.

Perfect thanks I'll see can I get him a friend then were only setting our tank up so gradually adding fish but obviously he got thrown into the bag by accident in the shop :/

Perfect thanks I'll see can I get him a friend then were only setting our tank up so gradually adding fish but obviously he got thrown into the bag by accident in the shop :/
No problem! At least you didn't end up something aggressive or that grows to a foot long ;)

Yeah absolutely I was worried incase he was a fin nipper because I'm planning on getting some guppies and a few others :) thanks for the help

So I'm completely new to tropical fish I bought 4 "neons" but the 4th is completely different from the other 3. It's slightly smaller than the rest and has a really unusual tail could anyone tell me what type of fish I've been given? View attachment 264490

For what it's worth, I'd be leery about going back to that store if they don;t even know the difference between a Neon Tetra and an Endler's Livebearer. They are 2 very different fish and the salesperson should have known better. :nono:

Just my 2 cents. :whistle:

The fish in your picture appears to be a pure bread black-bar Endler livebear. Endlers are very closely related to guppys (take a look at their scientific names) so closely related that they can cross breed with each other.
If you are planing to have both, I would highly suggest to have only one sex. In your case all males.
If you want males and females get one species or the other, if I had to choose over guppies and endlers I would choose endlers any day.

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

Thanks guys yeah I'm planning to get him a couple of buddies but all male aswell :) yeah the shop doesn't seem to have a clue because I knew straight away it was a completely different type I fish my sister was just told to pick them up and this is what she came home with! Ah well atleast it's a nice fish and not going to interfere with the rest of the fish

This is a male little guppy (not fancy) these aren't usually sold at pet stores but I hand a few dozen of them that I caught from a pond in the park around the corner from my house

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This is a male little guppy (not fancy) these aren't usually sold at pet stores but I hand a few dozen of them that I caught from a pond in the park around the corner from my house

Nope Jasmin, it's a male Endlers Livebearer. Google it ?

Reg. Guppy I think

Sent from my LGLS740 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1424876788004.jpg
    1424876788004.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 121
Back
Top Bottom