Help Please - With Photos.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am wanting to enter a photo competition, but I can not sem to take some good photos. However I have got some that I like, I just wanted to share them and ask for your opinions.

I would also like to ask what do yuot hink I should try to take photos of for the competition, what will capture peoples hearts and interest.

Thank You.

The pair of Discus is a really nice shot!

Tank shots are just tricky because of lighting, fast moving fish, and getting the camera to focus on the subject rather than the glass. I guess I don't have any good advice, but I do know what screws up my pictures!

Yes the third one is the best. I usually find useful the Macro function on my Digital Camera. Another Tip use a stand or tripod. The less vibration the better because when taking a photo of a tank you normally can't use a flash unless you want to see a big white spot or the reflection of yourself in the glass. Fishs are fast so try to take a picture when they are not moving. Well those are my tips. Good luck.

Hyrules- To avoid the white flash on the glass, take the pic at a slight angle. You can still use the flash and you won't see the big reflection. I prefer to take pics without the flash because it seems to capture their actual coloration.

Moved to Show Off/Photography, since this is a topic about taking pictures and not a question about a specific fish that is pictured. (make sense, lol?)

I am not an expert at all with digital photography, but I've noticed some improvement in my pictures the more I take them. If they aren't any good, just delete and try again. Practice does make perfect in digital photography! Make sure you know all the settings that your camera is capable of. Experiment with and without flash, or with manual settings vs. auto settings. I've re-read my owner's manual a few times to fully understand all the different settings that it has. And like Rich says, take lots of pictures and you'll get a few you like. Just keep trying - sometimes the fish is just not in the right area of the tank to show up well, so wait a bit and try again.

i'm trying to find a good digital camera that flashes immediately when you hit the button (doesn't wait 5 seconds until flashing)

yeah...those probably don't exist LOL

Thanx for all the advice. :D. I am getting a camera of a friend which hopefully will allow me to take some close-ip shots, I want a close up of a mushroom in my nano and a close up of my Kribensis fry.

Back
Top Bottom