Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2004, 03:06 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular

Heres a tip I discovered last night. If you're water is even just SLIGHTLY poor quality its very difficult to get a decent photo. I had a large algae bloom in my FW tank about a month ago. I had cleared it up but there was a very slight tinge of green to the water - barely noticeable. After a bit of effort yesterday, I finally managed to get rid of it and the water is 100% crystal clear... and I finally have a couple of great pics. (Am just using a basic little sony digital camera). I had the lights off in the tank and used the flash.

Old 04-07-2004, 06:13 AM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdp
What lighting does everyone use when photographing in reef tanks? I have a 175W 10K MH and 2 55W PC actinics. I've tried different lighting combinations but just wonder what anyone else's results have been. If I use all lights on the pics come out okay but a little blue. When just actinics are on the corals look great but the pics look VERY blue, I don't think the camera knows how to deal with all the blue light. Do you use the flash? Any filters on the lense? Just fishing more other people's ideas....
I use all my lights, 175W 12K and actinics. Just make sure you manually adjust your white balance. I use 3 white coffee filters in front of the lens and and measure the WB, from about the distance I'll be shooting. This seems to work real well. Another trick I've read about for people with very blue lights, like 20kk is to use a wet coffee filter with a yellow post it behind the coffee filter, and neasure in the light your going to be shooting in.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:42 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
My camera only has auto white balance and 5 or 6 preset custom settings The next model up had manual white but it cost about $200 more. I'm trying all the presets to see if any work better than auto, they are like daylight, cloudy, incandescent, and 3 fluorescent settings. I knew I shoud've splurged for the S7000
Old 04-07-2004, 04:37 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

When using the flash, I have had decent luck useing the flouresceant preset and then adjusting levels in photoshop with fish pics. Without the flash...I really don't know, none of the presets take real good pics with the flos on. Maybe try turning the actinics off and trying incandesceant or natural light settings. FWIW, if you get bad colors, most can be remedied with a levels and curves adjustment in photoshop.

Old 04-07-2004, 08:59 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Photoshop that's pricey 8O
Old 04-07-2004, 09:10 PM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

You can do alot with photoshop elements, and quite a bit with older versions of PS like 6.0 which is dirt cheap since 7.0 and CS came out.

Old 06-08-2004, 11:44 AM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

I stumbled across this link the other day and thouht it had some interesting info in it.

http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolo...ition_tips.php

lots of tips n tricks for digital photgraphy.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:00 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to dustybrannum Send a message via MSN to dustybrannum Send a message via Yahoo to dustybrannum
Why do purples look blue when taking a picture with a digital cam? I have a Canon Power Shot G5
Old 10-14-2004, 10:05 PM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

I think it has to do with the layout and ratio of photo sensors. My fuji has the opposite problem, it tends to make certain shades of purple...blue.

Old 10-15-2004, 11:49 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to dustybrannum Send a message via MSN to dustybrannum Send a message via Yahoo to dustybrannum
I apologize for the confusion but that is what I meant. If you saw the picture of my deep purple tang in the last SW photo contest he looked blue. Should I call Canon to try and fix this issue? I took some pictures of some purple violets and they were an electric blue on the camera.

Tags
oto, photo

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com