Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
lbirath001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfanatic View Post

I have used both. I like both! It just depends on the look you want. Sand seems easier to clean.
What did you use to clean it? How often? Thanks for the info.
__________________

__________________
lbirath001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Oohitsae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 1,600
Sand is my favorite substrate (besides bare bottom). All you need is a siphon and pass about 1" above the sand and it'll suck up all the detritus without an issue.

A black background would be a big improvement as well. Not only does it help fish with being less stressed, but it really makes their colors pop as well. On most of my tanks I've just taped a black trash bag to the back, but with some I have spray painted it and you can't really notice a difference between the two other than one is glossy and the other is matte.

I really like the idea of dividing it, but why did you?
__________________

__________________
Oohitsae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
lbirath001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohitsae View Post
Sand is my favorite substrate (besides bare bottom). All you need is a siphon and pass about 1" above the sand and it'll suck up all the detritus without an issue.

A black background would be a big improvement as well. Not only does it help fish with being less stressed, but it really makes their colors pop as well. On most of my tanks I've just taped a black trash bag to the back, but with some I have spray painted it and you can't really notice a difference between the two other than one is glossy and the other is matte.

I really like the idea of dividing it, but why did you?
I have small community fish and the bigger JD. I recently removed the divider and everyone seems to be getting along fine.
__________________
lbirath001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Oohitsae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 1,600
Ooooh!

The JD might be okay for now, but in the future when he grows up a bit he's bound to eat a few of the smaller community guys.
__________________
Oohitsae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
lbirath001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohitsae View Post
Ooooh!

The JD might be okay for now, but in the future when he grows up a bit he's bound to eat a few of the smaller community guys.
Will be a good snack for it lol
__________________
lbirath001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
I have sand now , I like it better then gravel
__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
lbirath001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthebeast View Post
I have sand now , I like it better then gravel
I'm going to do it this weekend!!
__________________
lbirath001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbirath001 View Post

I'm going to do it this weekend!!
Awesome, post lots of pics : )
__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
lbirath001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthebeast View Post

Awesome, post lots of pics : )
Do you have any of yours
__________________
lbirath001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
Yep here's some
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-839477089.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	181814   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-924962375.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	181815  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3806284535.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	181816  
__________________

__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
begginer, egg

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.