I just started my 180 Litre aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eliedaoura

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
T was a week ago , the water is stool cloudy !
Is that normal?
Elie

What kind of filter do you have on it? did you but any substrate in it? A new aquarium takes about two months to become stable and crystal clear.

Hi !
The mark of my aquarium is Juwel and that have the same mark of filter it's a system of 7 filters ( biological sponges blue for the good bacterias and carbon filter etc... ) and yes I put directly substrate ( gravel)

image-3510355500.jpg

Okay just let the tank cycle. I'm sure someone will pipe in with the link to the article soon. If not I will go ahead and do that.

Yes I washed the gravel vey very well and I put 3 days ago 3 small fish ... Now I will read the article that u sent it to me ths a lot ...

Water changes will help with the cloudiness whilst it cycles fully. Keep up with them and it'll clear up eventually. What fish do you have in there?

The white cloud is called new tank syndrome , it tends to go away after 2weeks if your unlucky enough to get it , alot of it is down to bacteria do a water test to check the amonia levels in the tank (alot of tap water in many places have high amonia levels) do a 20% water change once a week but it should settle down on its own :)

Yeah I changed a part of the water and it looks well much much better ( I think it's a dust from
The gravel and the red brown wood root in the aquarium ) ... :)

maestromad said:
Water changes will help with the cloudiness whilst it cycles fully. Keep up with them and it'll clear up eventually. What fish do you have in there?

I don't know what the name of those fish in English in Sweden we call them ( red sword holders) the black tail of the male looks like a sword)

The water is clear , very clear even with fish inside arround 20 ... Now after 18 days after I started the aquarium :))

Georgieb45 said:
Yea thats there english name , swordtails X

2 fish died :( alge eater and one camp fish the male , I performed a water test I got high NO2 level ... How should I do !??

Mumma.of.two said:
Water changes to bring it down to .25ppm or less. Test everyday to check an if it's high again do more water changes.

Ok il do that . But is that happening cause the aquarium is new ??
Thx :)

Eliedaoura said:
Ok il do that . But is that happening cause the aquarium is new ??
Thx :)

Yes it is. In a new tank/filter there is no bacteria to consume the ammonia your fish produce so it builds up to toxic levels. Some bacteria slowly start to grow (mostly in the filter) and consume/eat the ammonia turning it into nitrIte. Then the nitrIte builds up to toxic levels as a second kind of bacteria grows and consumes the nitrIte tuning it into nitrAte. The nitrAte is then removed with weekly water changes.
The whole process takes 4-8 weeks (sometimes longer).

Back
Top Bottom