Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald76 View Post

Then the only other option for you from your list is the guppies. Neither the Oscar or the turtle will work at all.
Ok what kind of fish do you have and your tank size

Old 03-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTigerApple

Ok what kind of fish do you have and your tank size
I have a ten gallon with guppies and three cories and a five with a Betta. However my tank is too small for the cories but they'll get a big tank soon.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald76 View Post

I have a ten gallon with guppies and three cories and a five with a Betta. However my tank is too small for the cories but they'll get a big tank soon.
You might find this wired but I have my 2 goldfish in one of these 6g tanks and there still alive
Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTigerApple View Post

You might find this wired but I have my 2 goldfish in one of these 6g tanks and there still alive
That tank must be very dirty lol. I have a ten gallon with guppies and a beta. I know some people don't like the beta and guppy mix but I am yet to have a problem.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtankfan View Post

That tank must be very dirty lol. I have a ten gallon with guppies and a beta. I know some people don't like the beta and guppy mix but I am yet to have a problem.
It has a filter so it is always clean
Old 03-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Otherwise you could get a couple of african dwarf frogs. Not much can fit in 6 gallons. But you could fit a few other things in a 20 gallon..but nothing overly large..just community type fish.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

It has a filter so it is always clean
Ud need a HUGE filter too keep it clean. But that wouldn't change the whole nitrate problem either. You could have 2 goldfish in a 20 gallon and it would be considered stocked or slightly over stocked
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

New Pet

So glad you came here to see which kind of pet might work well. Researching a new pet is a great step in happy pet keeping.

Two Goldfish need a 29 Long (minimum) or larger, a 40 gallon breeder tank would great. It is 36" wide, so is a 46G Bowfront. Both sizes would be great Goldfish homes. With a double stand you would have room for your other tanks too.

What kind are your goldfish? Some Goldfish get over 12 inches long and some can weigh a couple pounds! So the 6 gallon will not be a good home for them.

And to properly care for the goldfish a huge filter.

What size/type do you have now? Goldfish are huge ammonia producers. Because of this they are susceptible to Ammonia, and Nitrite poisoning.

Have you read about how the water needs BB (beneficial bacteria) to break down/process fish waste? Maintaining excellent water parameters for the fish are critical to good health.

Have you tested your water for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates?. One of the symptoms are red/purple bruise looking spots, or red blotches and red streaks/veins, in the fins, this can seriously injure fish internally and sometimes, they survive but don't really recover due to physical damage internally.

How often do you do partial water changes?

Also your filter... I forget for sure but it should circulate the water 4-5x per hour, the gallon size of the tank for goldfish. Canister filters are ideal.

I know you asked about a new pet but it seems you care about your pets by asking questions, so I thought it to be wise to make sure you knew some basics on how to keep them well!

A nice idea for the 8 gallon might be Red Cherry Shrimp, and a nano fish called, Boraras Brigittae, "Chilis" It is a Micro Rasbora, so tiny it won't eat the baby shrimp! With plants and sand! Cherry shrimp come in different colors too, orange, yellow, blue, white and brown, though they usually cost more than the red ones!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
So glad you came here to see which kind of pet might work well. Researching a new pet is a great step in happy pet keeping.

Two Goldfish need a 29 Long (minimum) or larger, a 40 gallon breeder tank would great. It is 36" wide, so is a 46G Bowfront. Both sizes would be great Goldfish homes. With a double stand you would have room for your other tanks too.

What kind are your goldfish? Some Goldfish get over 12 inches long and some can weigh a couple pounds! So the 6 gallon will not be a good home for them.

And to properly care for the goldfish a huge filter.

What size/type do you have now? Goldfish are huge ammonia producers. Because of this they are susceptible to Ammonia, and Nitrite poisoning.

Have you read about how the water needs BB (beneficial bacteria) to break down/process fish waste? Maintaining excellent water parameters for the fish are critical to good health.

Have you tested your water for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates?. One of the symptoms are red/purple bruise looking spots, or red blotches and red streaks/veins, in the fins, this can seriously injure fish internally and sometimes, they survive but don't really recover due to physical damage internally.

How often do you do partial water changes?

Also your filter... I forget for sure but it should circulate the water 4-5x per hour, the gallon size of the tank for goldfish. Canister filters are ideal.

I know you asked about a new pet but it seems you care about your pets by asking questions, so I thought it to be wise to make sure you knew some basics on how to keep them well!

A nice idea for the 8 gallon might be Red Cherry Shrimp, and a nano fish called, Boraras Brigittae, "Chilis" It is a Micro Rasbora, so tiny it won't eat the baby shrimp! With plants and sand! Cherry shrimp come in different colors too, orange, yellow, blue, white and brown, though they usually cost more than the red ones!

I do check the tank for ammonia and they are lion head goldfish and a kinda dwarf fantail. I also have a very tiny Pleco in it
Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:

I do check the tank for ammonia and they are lion head goldfish and a kinda dwarf fantail. I also have a very tiny Pleco in it
Goldfish are goldfish. No matter the kind they need big tanks. Give my dad crap too. He is even worse he has two goldfish in a 2.5 gallon. Trying to convince home to go bigger

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com