Just thought this pic was kinda cool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudfrog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
img_979383_0_770c9c462ae52cb1906c9c5b3a5ef7e3.jpg

What is it?

I got two pics similar, both with flash, both in low light, one is my tetra

something about the eyes

Ill add the other if I can find it, saw it on my comp last night now I cant, but its a 8# walleye doing pretty much the same thing, anyone who knows walleyes knows how awesome it looks.

My dad used to take pics of his tank but that was pre digital age, 35mm with fancy lenses and all that. Ill try and find some old ones and scan them onto the comp sometime today or tomorrow.

Gives me a thread idea.

It's a Hoplias malabaricus (common wolf fish), the fish in my avatar. The eyes didn't glow as I took this pic without the flash.

I'll think about entering it in the FW photo contest but I know predators are not typically the fish of choice on this forum :D

Look at these predators, too bad most home tanks are far too small for them, even our tanks are pushing it and they are 9k each.

Funny thing is they dont go for the smaller fish, the musky prefers the rainbow trout and the flathead prefers suckers.

I do enjoy watching them stalk and kill, its absolutely amazing the discipline they have to stay focused and execute nearly flawlessly.

I fish with palm size baits usually, they net the biggest predator in that area of water. Its a very nice fish.

Flatheads are my favorite catfish. I caught a small one last July 4th that was only 8" long. It was very tempting to bring him home but I passed. How big is that one? How big is the musky?

Musky is very illegal, it was dropped off by a rogue angler with a guilty concionce** its MAYBE 34" now, it was 26" when he arrived a year ago

the flathead is a monster, very docile yet again the baddest monkey in that jungle, its the boss of the tank. When we got him in he was 30 pounds, he has eaten many a fish since then and girth wise looks like he is maybe approaching 40 pounds soon or by the end of summer.

we got a channel cat that seems to gain alot of girth once or twice a month, few days later its back to normal size......somethings telling me he is either eating the panfish or I know what happened to the bullheads now.

You got a BPS(bass pro) or a cabelas near you? I see you are in virginia but not sure what BPS has around there, I know we dont have a store there yet.

The bigger fish get fed first, usually 6"+ suckers, then the roaches and minners go in and all sorts of fun begins. Those little feeders are scared to death, I mean if I had 15 pounds of hungry panfish chasing me id be scared to but those little fish will use any and all methods to hide or outrun the predator, its a great time, humorous yes but the sheer dedication of the predator to get that food.

I got some pics from our hammond,in store as well last week but I got the aq tech at work to use m EPICcam to go diving in the tank with.

Also, if you can get to Hamburg PA you gotta see their predator feedings, he dives in and feeds them by hand.

Back
Top Bottom