Lab Photos and Microscope Fun [Warning: Lots of Pics]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hypostomus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bwahaha, going back to the lab. :p

Anyway, if anyone who looked at the last batch of photos from the lab at school is looking at this, they may remember a certain large meanie crab that was shown. I mentioned that there was water flowing down the side of his tank into a touchpool, and I thought I'd show what I meant. You can see the crab sitting over on the left.

331_tt_1.jpg

And this image shows another touchpool in the other room. The starfish near the bin there are about the size of dinner plates. They're pretty fast too. :)

331_tt_2.jpg

Starfish legs- they're what's for dinner! =D

331_tt_3.jpg

Now, next up is my yellow tang comparison study. The staining has certainly progressed since then, but before I started removing the scales I took some time taking microscope shots of said tang. Here's the full fish, and you can clearly see the interesting ways in which its skeleton has been structured. I'm holding it with forceps because it's covered in glycerin at the moment. :)

331_tang1.jpg

The next few shots aren't the greatest because I had to take them by holding the camera lens up to the dissecting microscope port. However, I personally think they're very interesting. My teacher also went crazy and paraded around the room with a very cruddy print-out of one of them. =P This first one is a shot of the tang's dorsal surface, with the lateral line and a portion of the dorsal fin structures.

331_tang_micro1.jpg

Next up is the "beak" of the tang.

331_tang_micro2.jpg

This is the "caudal complex" of the tang, which sports a unique spine on either side (if you look on a live tang it looks like a white spade amidst the yellow scales).

331_tang_micro3.jpg

And here is a close-up of said spine. Note the lateral line that continues across the caudal complex (in many fishes it will stop before the tail).

331_tang_micro4.jpg

That's all for now. ;)

Very very cool. The spine pics make it pretty clear why tangs are also known as surgeonfish *grin*

Btw, where do you go to school?

University of New England, in Maine. :) The two specialties of the school are Marine Biology and medical programs (particularly nursing and physical therapy), so there are pretty extensive facilities for both those subjects. The Aquaculture and Aquarium Sciences program they started more recently just had its first graduate, but it is very popular.

LOL Bummer; thought you were going to school here in NY (I assumed that cause of your location). Figured I could come check all the neat stuff out LOL

No OT program as well? What kinda school is that *hrmph* ;)

Err..they have OT too. I just forget, because therapy in general isn't my...thing. I spend most of my time here: http://www.une.edu/cas/msc/ ;)

It's not like there aren't neat places in NY. Fairmount Aquariums comes to mind for me...my favorite FS ever. 8)

Back
Top Bottom