Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2009, 12:41 AM   #11
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDevil View Post
What a difference.

Yep, Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Freshwater Clams and mussles. Eels, Try looking into FIRE EELS, they burrow in anything.
You shouldnt have an issue with that sand, as you can tell it wasnt really "sand" and more like granuals that allow water to flow thru them and not get dead spots, I do suggest using a Hair Pik on the end of the gravel vac to clean the sand, set it at sand depth, then add 3/4"-1" of gap and fasten it to the gravel vac, it will stir and you jsut suck up anything that pops up including gas bubbles.

Spoon- it looks great!

WD- A fire eel, mussels and clams? Really? Such terrible advice IMHO. Fire eels get nearly 2 foot long and will not likely have a deep enough substrate to borrow. Clams and mussels will need to be fed with green water and do nothing to really stir a sandbed.

MTS re a good option. I won't get into how long it actually takes to create the much feared "toxic air pockets".

Old 07-26-2009, 12:44 AM   #12
is back to save the day!

Why wouldn't the loaches be suitable for that tank? Do the fish not get along well with them? Also, its just my opinion as well, but i still wouldnt take any chances on letting gases build up in the sand. I would at least get SOMETHING that would mess around with the sand. It may not be pure sand like play sand but it still is sand.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:47 AM   #13
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dojos are colder water fish. Loaches and Mbuna don't really mix well because of their preferred water condition (TDS & pH primarily). The only loach that actually borrows IME is the kuhli and they would be snacked on.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:49 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksyz View Post
Why wouldn't the loaches be suitable for that tank? Do the fish not get along well with them? Also, its just my opinion as well, but i still wouldnt take any chances on letting gases build up in the sand. I would at least get SOMETHING that would mess around with the sand. It may not be pure sand like play sand but it still is sand.
Gases are NOT going to build up in sand with Mbuna in the tank. They dig and rearrange constantly. I've been using PFS for years and never had an issue, or known anyone that has, with gas buildup. Totally overrated phenomenon.

Mbuna are aggressive fish and would rip most loaches to shreds.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I would at least get SOMETHING that would mess around with the sand.
The fish he has in there mess with the sand all day long, so he will not need anything else.

Mbuna are very aggressive fish, so all the things suggested would get picked on, eaten or just plain killed off as the Mbuna get big. The only other fish that can really be put in with African Mbuna are the more aggressive catfish and sharks.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:54 AM   #16
Fish R friends, not food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzCat View Post
You wont need anything to sift the sand. As the Mbuna get bigger they will all spend all day digging in the sand. Making caves, looking for food, etc. I have never had to run my fingers thru the sand in my Mbuna tank the way I do the planted tank because all my fish take care of that for me. You will notice too, if you start off with a flat sand bed after a water change, by a couple days you will have hills and valleys LOL. Mbuna are diggers, they move it around, will take a huge mouthful and sift it thru their gills looking for food. That is one reason to lift the uptake of the filter up higher because the sand flies all day. That is what makes them so fun!! They may not do it as much yet because they are still real small, but the bigger they get the more they will dig.

I like that idea of the hair pic on the vacuum!
Hey Dizz, I have actually seen some of my fish picking up the sand in their mouths already. Pretty cool. Gonna hold off and do some research on what to add to the tank. Take all the advice and make a good decision. Thanks for all the feedback!!! Definately gonna do the hairpick on the gravel vacuum! Cant hurt right?
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:56 AM   #17
is back to save the day!

ok cool. some things i didnt know plus, i didnt know that Mbuna play with the sand so thats why i said something.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:59 AM   #18

Trying to adopt out the plecos that are in there now. Need to find someone with a bigger tank. Now I just adopted a rhino pleco that is 3 yrs old that is 3 inches long. Anyone know how big they get? He is in my 84G for now. He was in with a Black Moor and was sucking on it. I have read 15 or so inches but this one is 3 yrs old and only 3 inches. I know its a rhino cuz it has the horns.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:06 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
i didnt know that Mbuna play with the sand
Oh yeah, its really fun to watch! Mine always grab everyone's attention because of it!

For example:

And:

LOL

This is my favorite:

So, that is why there is no need to worry about gas pockets in a Mbuna tank. The sand NEVER stays where you put it longer than a day! :p
Old 07-26-2009, 01:19 AM   #20

Awesome pics Dizz, gonna take your advice. You havent steered my wrong yet. Thanks again for all your help. BTW, my acei dropped all her fry and they are all gone. They dont last long in that tank!

Tags
change, gravel, pfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com