Made the change from gravel to PFS today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, It took me about 6 hours today but I made the change from brown gravel/rocks to Pool Filter Sand! Took the fish out and completely drained and cleaned the tank and replaced the substrate. What a job! So worth it though. I think the fish are happier and the tank looks so much brighter with the lighter substrate. I am soaking the plants right now but they will go back in when they are done soaking. I also removed the undergravel filter and shortened the long intake for the HOB. Next is the canister filter! Probably in the next month or so. Here is a before and after! Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• DSC00554.jpg
    DSC00554.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00626.jpg
    DSC00626.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 119
Are there snails and other freshwater sand sifters that I could put in with the Mbuna to keep the sand turned over or will I have to do it myself?

That is an awesome switch!! See, PFS is so much nicer in tanks then gravel. You could get fish like dojo loaches or some other types of loaches. I heard they fiddle with the sand.

Are there snails and other freshwater sand sifters that I could put in with the Mbuna to keep the sand turned over or will I have to do it myself?
Looks great Spoon! Glad you were able to find the sand without paying out the arse. I would go with the MTS I have some in with my convicts and in my main tank they never seem to be bothered by the fish and they definitely burrow.

What a difference.

Yep, Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Freshwater Clams and mussles. Eels, Try looking into FIRE EELS, they burrow in anything.
You shouldnt have an issue with that sand, as you can tell it wasnt really "sand" and more like granuals that allow water to flow thru them and not get dead spots, I do suggest using a Hair Pik on the end of the gravel vac to clean the sand, set it at sand depth, then add 3/4"-1" of gap and fasten it to the gravel vac, it will stir and you jsut suck up anything that pops up including gas bubbles.

Thanks guys. I will see if I can find the MTS or fire eels. Yep, I rinsed it about 3 or 4 times in a big tub and dumped it in the tank. I didnt have any clouding at all! It was awesome! So glad I went with that and not the play sand. I definitely will spread the word about PFS!

First off, how many gallons is your tank. If its anything under 50 Gallons then dont get the fire eel because it will stunt the growth of the eel and cause it discomfort. They need big tanks because they get fairly large. Also, having PFS is the same as having any other sand. It isnt like gravel which lets things get through it because its more rigid, so harmful gases can still get trapped in the PFS. Getting sand sifters for ANY type of sand you have is a good idea unless you plan to sift it yourself.

That is an awesome switch!! See, PFS is so much nicer in tanks then gravel. You could get fish like dojo loaches or some other types of loaches. I heard they fiddle with the sand.

What a difference.

Yep, Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Freshwater Clams and mussles. Eels, Try looking into FIRE EELS, they burrow in anything.
You shouldnt have an issue with that sand, as you can tell it wasnt really "sand" and more like granuals that allow water to flow thru them and not get dead spots, I do suggest using a Hair Pik on the end of the gravel vac to clean the sand, set it at sand depth, then add 3/4"-1" of gap and fasten it to the gravel vac, it will stir and you jsut suck up anything that pops up including gas bubbles.

IMO these really aren't suitable options for an Mbuna tank. The Mbuna dig enough that the sand will probably stay pretty stirred up, but MTS might work too. Honestly, gas pockets in PFS are a really overrated phenomenon IMO. I've been using it for years and have never had that issue, and never known anyone else that has.

You wont need anything to sift the sand. As the Mbuna get bigger they will all spend all day digging in the sand. Making caves, looking for food, etc. I have never had to run my fingers thru the sand in my Mbuna tank the way I do the planted tank because all my fish take care of that for me. You will notice too, if you start off with a flat sand bed after a water change, by a couple days you will have hills and valleys LOL. Mbuna are diggers, they move it around, will take a huge mouthful and sift it thru their gills looking for food. That is one reason to lift the uptake of the filter up higher because the sand flies all day. That is what makes them so fun!! They may not do it as much yet because they are still real small, but the bigger they get the more they will dig.

I like that idea of the hair pic on the vacuum!

What a difference.

Spoon- it looks great!

WD- A fire eel, mussels and clams? Really? Such terrible advice IMHO. Fire eels get nearly 2 foot long and will not likely have a deep enough substrate to borrow. Clams and mussels will need to be fed with green water and do nothing to really stir a sandbed.

MTS re a good option. I won't get into how long it actually takes to create the much feared "toxic air pockets".

Why wouldn't the loaches be suitable for that tank? Do the fish not get along well with them? Also, its just my opinion as well, but i still wouldnt take any chances on letting gases build up in the sand. I would at least get SOMETHING that would mess around with the sand. It may not be pure sand like play sand but it still is sand.

Dojos are colder water fish. Loaches and Mbuna don't really mix well because of their preferred water condition (TDS & pH primarily). The only loach that actually borrows IME is the kuhli and they would be snacked on.

Why wouldn't the loaches be suitable for that tank? Do the fish not get along well with them? Also, its just my opinion as well, but i still wouldnt take any chances on letting gases build up in the sand. I would at least get SOMETHING that would mess around with the sand. It may not be pure sand like play sand but it still is sand.

Gases are NOT going to build up in sand with Mbuna in the tank. They dig and rearrange constantly. I've been using PFS for years and never had an issue, or known anyone that has, with gas buildup. Totally overrated phenomenon.

Mbuna are aggressive fish and would rip most loaches to shreds.

I would at least get SOMETHING that would mess around with the sand.

The fish he has in there mess with the sand all day long, so he will not need anything else.

Mbuna are very aggressive fish, so all the things suggested would get picked on, eaten or just plain killed off as the Mbuna get big. The only other fish that can really be put in with African Mbuna are the more aggressive catfish and sharks.

You wont need anything to sift the sand. As the Mbuna get bigger they will all spend all day digging in the sand. Making caves, looking for food, etc. I have never had to run my fingers thru the sand in my Mbuna tank the way I do the planted tank because all my fish take care of that for me. You will notice too, if you start off with a flat sand bed after a water change, by a couple days you will have hills and valleys LOL. Mbuna are diggers, they move it around, will take a huge mouthful and sift it thru their gills looking for food. That is one reason to lift the uptake of the filter up higher because the sand flies all day. That is what makes them so fun!! They may not do it as much yet because they are still real small, but the bigger they get the more they will dig.

I like that idea of the hair pic on the vacuum!

Hey Dizz, I have actually seen some of my fish picking up the sand in their mouths already. Pretty cool. Gonna hold off and do some research on what to add to the tank. Take all the advice and make a good decision. Thanks for all the feedback!!! Definately gonna do the hairpick on the gravel vacuum! Cant hurt right?

ok cool. some things i didnt know ;) plus, i didnt know that Mbuna play with the sand so thats why i said something. :)

Trying to adopt out the plecos that are in there now. Need to find someone with a bigger tank. Now I just adopted a rhino pleco that is 3 yrs old that is 3 inches long. Anyone know how big they get? He is in my 84G for now. He was in with a Black Moor and was sucking on it. I have read 15 or so inches but this one is 3 yrs old and only 3 inches. I know its a rhino cuz it has the horns.

i didnt know that Mbuna play with the sand
Oh yeah, its really fun to watch! Mine always grab everyone's attention because of it!

For example:
img_1005777_0_ed64fde153badd434b1be7f96fb042b5.jpg

And:
img_1005777_1_2071e8cdee5dab0b743f6b697e9f2eac.jpg

LOL
img_1005777_2_f6489faaefeda0e5d4309eaadcac9d87.jpg

This is my favorite:
img_1005777_3_fbf6e2679a765e1d766c17d33b387459.jpg

So, that is why there is no need to worry about gas pockets in a Mbuna tank. The sand NEVER stays where you put it longer than a day! :p

Awesome pics Dizz, gonna take your advice. You havent steered my wrong yet. Thanks again for all your help. BTW, my acei dropped all her fry and they are all gone. They dont last long in that tank!

Back
Top Bottom