Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

The side door access was a great idea! Assume you're planning for a sump (SW, right??), and if so, you could get to it and do things from the side - maybe even change it out.

So, what's going underneath? Under my 6 ft, 155tank, I was able to fit a sump/fuge, a skimmer (non-submersed), and a 37g FW top-off tank from left to right with 2 - 3" left. What's your plans for underneath?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is sweet! I wish I knew someone who could build a stand for me! I hate my ugly black iron one and its also too tall for me.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Etunes:
Saltwater Reef. This is a long term project that I have been working on for some time now. I've had the tank for a few years now.

I actually had a 55g that I was getting ready to add water to for a FW setup, and while I was out at the LFS, I came across this tank that he was selling for cheap cause it has a chip on the corner of the glass. I inspected the tank and the chip doesn't effect the integrity of the tank/seals at all.

So, $200 later, and it was in my basement waiting for me.

I also confirmed no leaks/integrity by filling the tank with water and running a bare bones pump/filter system for over a month. I figured if there was a leak, I could reseal the tank and still have a great deal.

So I sold the 55 setup for $250, and started studying to be a saltwater tank hobbyist.

It will probably be another year until its completed cause I'm a big DYI type of person. Anything that I can build here at home will be done by me. I pretty much have everything planned out except for the lighting. I have been following several threads for LED setups, and should be comfortable in designing a system soon. By the time I'm ready to complete a finished schematic for it, there will/should be plenty of info on the web about perfecting it.

austindad:
I'm going with a sump design from melvsreef.com
The Model F Design - http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/f/sump_f.html
I designed my inner stand dimensions around the dimensions of that sump. It houses the Protein skimmer, return pump, and Refuge. Sadly, I didn't plan for a "top-off" tank. I'm thinking of a slight modification to the sump, adding 3-4" to the length. This way I can have a totally separate compartment/tank on the right side of the sump that will house approx 5g of top-off water. With a float switch and a small pump, the top-off water (pre-made) can be pumped directly into the sump. I will put up an image of the "modified" design later or tomorrow to show what I have planned, and get opinions.

DizzCat:
Check out this posting on craigslist that I came across the other day. It's actually a really great idea, and is somewhat like what I did with my stand by building the "Skin/Facia" separately. If you can make something like this, or find a local woodworker or a friend that's willing to do it, it totally changes the way you look at a tank. You get the strength of the metal stand and the "eye-candy" of a natural wood stand at a lesser out of pocket cost.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/hsh/1414038545.html
Old 10-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo68 View Post
DizzCat:
Check out this posting on craigslist that I came across the other day. It's actually a really great idea, and is somewhat like what I did with my stand by building the "Skin/Facia" separately. If you can make something like this, or find a local woodworker or a friend that's willing to do it, it totally changes the way you look at a tank. You get the strength of the metal stand and the "eye-candy" of a natural wood stand at a lesser out of pocket cost.
fish tank aquarium stand cabinet
Ya, i have done this to my iron stands because i think iron stands are UGLY. I live in southern Florida in Lehigh, it is close to Ft. Myres and Cape Coral. I might just shoot you a PM for some assistants if i ever need 1 when i make my MONSTER fish tank and build everything. I want it a ultimate DIY tank. I am even learning on how to make my own acrylic tank. But i am not sure if i am going to do that but it would be cool.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

great work....
Old 10-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Depending on your lighting and whether you're doing a hood on the tank, a 5g top off might not last more than 2 days IME. I had 3 x 150 MH lighting in a hood with fans blowing across the water and my 37g needed re-filling in less than 2 weeks at times.

Can you add a top-off behind the wall where the main'll be situated?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo68 View Post

It will probably be another year until its completed cause I'm a big DYI type of person. Anything that I can build here at home will be done by me. I pretty much have everything planned out except for the lighting. I have been following several threads for LED setups, and should be comfortable in designing a system soon. By the time I'm ready to complete a finished schematic for it, there will/should be plenty of info on the web about perfecting it.
you are going to have LED lighting? if you want a SW tank, then LED lighting isnt a great choice. any reason for LED compared to a DIY T5 system for instance?

Tags
1.5g, build, stand, stand build, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com