Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My 125g Stand Build

Been awhile since I posted here, and thought i would put up some images of my stand that I recently built from Raw Wood to Completed. I would put them all up but i can't seem to do more than 8 a day , so I will post more tomorrow.

Original post

Hello all.
I've been prowling around these forums for some time now, and figured it was high time I signed up.

I have owned an Oceanic 125g Reef Ready tank for about 6 years now, and haven't set it up yet, (got a really good deal on it since the molding was scratched; bought it, took it home and covered it) and I have finally gained the courage/knowledge to get this tank together.

I feel I have (the knowledge) now, after following these forums and others, reading books, visiting local pet shops and making friends there, to get this started!

Hopefully at some point I will have as much valuable information/ real life experience to share with others as I have found here from all you.

I'm in the beggining stages of building another stand for this tank. I had built one (Hastily) before I moved here to Florida 5 years ago, but did not consider many things, like sump size, plumbing, filter/skimmer height and so on and have come to the conclusion that I was foolish with my interior dimensions.

Stand build up starts next week! Stand dimensions are a hair larger being that the framing on the tank brings it outside dimensions to 72.5" x 18.5"
I'll be building it using 2x4's, Finshed plywood and then coving the assembly with a Glossy Black Laminate Formica.

/fingersCrossed...here i go

/D
Raw Wood

After being planed. You can see the door frames in the back left before the went to the router.

2x4 notched Skeleton Framing using pocket holes for the screws

Skeleton Frame completed and square. if you look close, you can see that i also addes "Pocket Holes" to the frame in several other locations. This is where the screws go to hold the outer "Facia" to the skeleton.

I'll post more pics tomorrow

Old 10-10-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice Job so far, looking forward to the completed unit.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you gonna make any side supports? I like to do it for stabbility.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

looking good!
Old 10-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #5

I did not add any other "bracing" to the stand. The way that I built this stand is kind of like, "Skeleton and Skin". The "skin/facia" gives the "skeleton" its structural reinforcement.

I'm at work at the moment, but will post more images tonight. By using pocket holes on each upright, any side to side pressure (which there shouldn't be anyways since the stand is leveled on the floor) would be absorbed by both the skeleton and skin. I'm a bit of a "freak" when I build and level my stands/tanks, and have been told by friends I go to far.

Anyways, I will try to post the rest of the images tonight so you can see what I'm talking about.

Is there a way to post more then 8 images at a time? Maybe in reply?

/D
Old 10-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

just make two posts, or 3 or 4... we'd love to see lots of pictures

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
just make two posts, or 3 or 4... we'd love to see lots of pictures
How many pictures an he post of wood nailed/screwed together.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

alot... ever really looked at wood? its really neat to look at the grain and different textures it has. and there are alot of different types of nails and screws too... even glue jk... what i was getting at was a kind of step by step type thing, like above... each picture is different

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #9

Doors

Doors Going Together

Old 10-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #10

Skin/Facia Panels Completed

Test Fitting around Frame

Completed Skin/Facia

The Frame/Skeleton and Skin/Facia Completed

Tags
1.5g, build, stand, stand build, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com