My 125g Stand Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daimyo68

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Been awhile since I posted here, and thought i would put up some images of my stand that I recently built from Raw Wood to Completed. I would put them all up but i can't seem to do more than 8 a day , so I will post more tomorrow.

Original post

Hello all.
I've been prowling around these forums for some time now, and figured it was high time I signed up.

I have owned an Oceanic 125g Reef Ready tank for about 6 years now, and haven't set it up yet, (got a really good deal on it since the molding was scratched; bought it, took it home and covered it) and I have finally gained the courage/knowledge to get this tank together.

I feel I have (the knowledge) now, after following these forums and others, reading books, visiting local pet shops and making friends there:grin:, to get this started!

Hopefully at some point I will have as much valuable information/ real life experience to share with others as I have found here from all you.

I'm in the beggining stages of building another stand for this tank. I had built one (Hastily) before I moved here to Florida 5 years ago, but did not consider many things, like sump size, plumbing, filter/skimmer height and so on and have come to the conclusion that I was foolish with my interior dimensions.

Stand build up starts next week! Stand dimensions are a hair larger being that the framing on the tank brings it outside dimensions to 72.5" x 18.5"
I'll be building it using 2x4's, Finshed plywood and then coving the assembly with a Glossy Black Laminate Formica.

/fingersCrossed...here i go

/D
Raw Wood
l_f25492ab2bdb4cc0889efd3700dbef78.jpg

After being planed. You can see the door frames in the back left before the went to the router.
l_2c753a8298f5448e84fbd65f333cc206.jpg

2x4 notched Skeleton Framing using pocket holes for the screws
l_8384e9ebdff042ad847e004a910691d1.jpg

l_12ffcde0a11d47aabd9417a3001095c5.jpg

l_8c0faa135c384ae88aaa54b06756da6d.jpg

l_fc49e5f968be4608989e49ef1c7bc07f.jpg

Skeleton Frame completed and square. if you look close, you can see that i also addes "Pocket Holes" to the frame in several other locations. This is where the screws go to hold the outer "Facia" to the skeleton.

l_c36b38a8be9248d2b8d70657e712d8d7.jpg

I'll post more pics tomorrow

Are you gonna make any side supports? I like to do it for stabbility.

I did not add any other "bracing" to the stand. The way that I built this stand is kind of like, "Skeleton and Skin". The "skin/facia" gives the "skeleton" its structural reinforcement.

I'm at work at the moment, but will post more images tonight. By using pocket holes on each upright, any side to side pressure (which there shouldn't be anyways since the stand is leveled on the floor) would be absorbed by both the skeleton and skin. I'm a bit of a "freak" when I build and level my stands/tanks, and have been told by friends I go to far.

Anyways, I will try to post the rest of the images tonight so you can see what I'm talking about.

Is there a way to post more then 8 images at a time? Maybe in reply?

/D

alot... ever really looked at wood? its really neat to look at the grain and different textures it has. and there are alot of different types of nails and screws too... even glue :) jk... what i was getting at was a kind of step by step type thing, like above... each picture is different ;)

Skin/Facia Panels Completed
dsc00695z.jpg

Test Fitting around Frame
dsc00691mu.jpg

dsc00692u.jpg

dsc00690xc.jpg

Completed Skin/Facia
26024692.jpg

The Frame/Skeleton and Skin/Facia Completed
dsc00705a.jpg

dsc00697n.jpg

Skin and Skeleton Combined and secured
dsc00708b.jpg

dsc00715e.jpg

Doors and Shelf Installed
dsc00771p.jpg

dsc00760z.jpg

dsc00769lt.jpg

Top/Lid Drilled (Total of 4 Holes) for Supply and Returns to the Sump
dsc00793sm.jpg

dsc01035k.jpg

The Completed Stand after Stain, and tank set on top
dsc01046b.jpg

Almost forgot, Spaceballs! These fit the the routed door frames and when the door is assembled it's a snug fit, so na rattles when the doors are closed.

img00024vq.jpg

img00025.jpg

So there's my stand. It came out pretty nice IMO. It will be moved to the living room once I'm done with the hardwood flooring.

I put a total of 6 doors on this stand, and will also be installing a "roller" type tray on the left side for the sump. It won't get used much, but if I need to remove the sump for any reason in the future, it will slide right out the left side.

The door on the right side of the stand, will give me access to all my electrical circuits. I'm going to install a back panel on that side to attach outlets that will run to a main junction on the back of the panel.

I've already got 2 dedicated circuits in the wall where the stand will be placed, and being that I installed the "Electrical panel" in the stand, all I have to do is plug it in and I will have full power to the stand. I've also wired my generator into these circuits incase of a power failure (I live in Florida and you never know when a hurricane/bad storm is gonna come through).

So next on my list (Couple months down the line after the floor is done) is building the Sump. I've taken the plans from MelvsReef.com for his Model F sump. This should be an interesting as I have never done an Acrylic Sump before.

alot... ever really looked at wood? its really neat to look at the grain and different textures it has. and there are alot of different types of nails and screws too... even glue :) jk... what i was getting at was a kind of step by step type thing, like above... each picture is different ;)

Yeah the grain of the wood really jumps out after hitting it using Formby's Finishing Oil.

Beautiful stand!!!!! I wish I had the tools and space to do something like that.

Very nice looking stand! Great work! I love the DIY look vs store bought, IMO. Keep us updated as things progress. Any plans on a canopy?

Back
Top Bottom