Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
Very nice. The Rotala W looks very healthy.

Take a look at a combo of RCS or CRS and some boraras brigittae. That would be a sharp combo in that size of tank.
hey great combo indeed Im 80% sure i just saw some of the mosquito rasboras at a this new lfs I checked out couple days ago too(only thing written was "microrasboras" in sharpie). I'm considering a school of microrasboras species for the tank so thanks for recommending a new one i have yet to hear bout. i do enjoy the Harlequin rasboras as well as CPD....

I havnt seen too many CRS at lfs but found an ad on craigslist for my area who is selling CRS for 25$ each. are they difficult to care for? they are definitely one of my favorite in terms of looks for shrimps. but it would be my first time caring for shrimp if i do decide on some CRS, id want to make sure i am well prepared. :p

Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
How are you cycling? Are you adding any ammonia? No need for bottled bacteria. Plants consume ammonia, nitrite and nitrate so that's not your problem. I'd suggest starting a thread in the planted tank section asking what is needed lighting wise. Also what ferts are needed.
I started off using some of my gravel from my bf's tank and did the pantyhose hangover for a few days. turned on my filter full power as well as the heater. other than that, plants in substrate. I also added total 15ml of this bottled "good bacteria" that came with the fluval. I dont think it helped much but add all these little dirt like speckles landing on my plants..I'll assume its the "good bacteria" ? also did a water change a few times..which i probably shouldnt have but i probably just went ahead with it from being impatient with this whole process but i also did use seachem prime with those water changes. that about sums up everything for my cycling process.

ill definetelly check out the thread youll be making on planted tanks

Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #23
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

They can be a bit finicky. They are one of the more sensitive species of FW shrimp. The more expensive they are, they higher the grade (They are rated C through SSS). But also, the more expensive and higher the grade, the more finicky they are, as that means they have been more selectively bred, and are more inbred, and lack genetic diversity, so they can be tough to keep alive except in pristine water conditions. If you are happy with some ~A grade CRS, which shouldn't be more than a few dollars each, they will be far easier to care for than say some SSS grade which can go for $50+.

If you are nervous about it, and haven't kept shrimp in the past, it might be wise to start with some RCS instead. They are extremely hardy in comparison, and you can find them online for usually a dollar or less each.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by miylee

I started off using some of my gravel from my bf's tank and did the pantyhose hangover for a few days. turned on my filter full power as well as the heater. other than that, plants in substrate. I also added total 15ml of this bottled "good bacteria" that came with the fluval. I dont think it helped much but add all these little dirt like speckles landing on my plants..I'll assume its the "good bacteria" ? also did a water change a few times..which i probably shouldnt have but i probably just went ahead with it from being impatient with this whole process but i also did use seachem prime with those water changes. that about sums up everything for my cycling process.

ill definetelly check out the thread youll be making on planted tanks
Ok. Unless you add an ammonia source your tank is not cycling. You have a couple of options. Fishless or fish in. I will post the links to the articles.
FISHLESS
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

FISH IN
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...now/Page2.html

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side.

BEGINNERS GUIDE
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
They can be a bit finicky. They are one of the more sensitive species of FW shrimp. The more expensive they are, they higher the grade (They are rated C through SSS). But also, the more expensive and higher the grade, the more finicky they are, as that means they have been more selectively bred, and are more inbred, and lack genetic diversity, so they can be tough to keep alive except in pristine water conditions. If you are happy with some ~A grade CRS, which shouldn't be more than a few dollars each, they will be far easier to care for than say some SSS grade which can go for $50+.

If you are nervous about it, and haven't kept shrimp in the past, it might be wise to start with some RCS instead. They are extremely hardy in comparison, and you can find them online for usually a dollar or less each.
the ad said they were SSS grade for 25 each, wish i had experience since it seems like a sweet deal.. i havn't bought any fish online before..never understood how the whole transportation process works but it always made me worrisome >.< but i have noticed RCS at lfs being pretty easy on the wallet so might give them a try
Old 02-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #26
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Sounds like you have the right idea, seeding from your boyfriend's gravel - but as mumma said, if there is not some source of ammonia the nitrifying bacteria would starve to death in a matter of days. Since you have ready access to seed material, I would just add some of it again at the same time that you add a small amount of livestock. That ought to be sufficient to get the tank running. If you are going with microrasboras a/o RCS, the bioload is so small that there won't be much of a cycle required anyway. Going through a full blown fishless cycle is probably not necessary.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #27
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by miylee View Post
the ad said they were SSS grade for 25 each, wish i had experience since it seems like a sweet deal.. i havn't bought any fish online before..never understood how the whole transportation process works but it always made me worrisome >.< but i have noticed RCS at lfs being pretty easy on the wallet so might give them a try
Fish and shrimp ship very well. After all, that's how they get to your LFS (on a slightly larger scale). A company called Cordon makes bags that have a semipermeable material that allows CO2 to escape, and allows O2 in, so the fish can do quite well in a small bag for several days. That's how most of us hobbyists go about shipping fish 'cross country. I have never had even a single shrimp die on me due to shipping... only time I lost any was a few weeks ago when business called me away and my amanos sat in the cold on the front porch for 8 hours or so after delivery.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
Ok. Unless you add an ammonia source your tank is not cycling. You have a couple of options. Fishless or fish in. I will post the links to the articles.
FISHLESS
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

FISH IN
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side.

BEGINNERS GUIDE
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
SMH
got so caught up in not wanting to harm fish with a fish in cycle I thought you could make a tank cycle with just plants I didn't even realize...no source of ammonia here..duh

going to go head to lgs now. thank you for saving me and my patience going off.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #29
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You can do what is called a silent cycle if you have a sufficient amount of plants. It is the method I always use when starting a new tank.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384
You can do what is called a silent cycle if you have a sufficient amount of plants. It is the method I always use when starting a new tank.
yes ^^
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_silent_cycling.php
Basically a fish in cycle. Lots of plants and few fish. I've done one. Works well.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12g, aquascape, cap, fluval, fluval edge, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com