Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyBear View Post
I'm guilty, here, too. Got caught up in the discussion.

Miylee, you said that your plants weren't doing well, but they look really good in the pic. What is it that's going wrong with them?

You mentioned you got a different light source, but the bright LED's that came with my Fluval have been fine for my plants, but they are on a timer for 14 hours each day. But I may have low-light plants.

You mentioned the pre-filter sponge by Fluval to cover up the intake valve. I've looked at it, too. Are you wanting it just for aesthetic purposes to cover up the plactic valve? I think that it will cut down on your filter flow, and it will keep large bits of detritus (like pieces of plants, etc.) from being filtered out. It does keep smaller critters like small shrimp and fish from being sucked into it, but I havn't had any issues with my amano or cherry shrimp. It would hide the intake valve if that's what you're aiming for, but some big plants in front of it would do that, too.

You mentioned dirty specks after using the bacteria solution. I never noticed that with mine. Did they go away?

Your tank looks really nice already. I think someone asked what kind of substrate you used, but I didn't catch the answer. Is it some kind of plant substrate? I've had some problems with plants floating up a little and exposing their roots with my gravel, but I push them back down and eventually they hold--I think the roots have to get established. I'd like to know what you used, though, because it looks really nice and clean.
I sent you a pm btw. I thought you were the op lol

Also if she is trying to breed shrimp she will defintely want to cover the intake. I have the intake covered with a bag with holes basically the same size as panthose. It hasnt hurt my tank. My 5 gallon filter came with a sponge thing on the intake that also works great.
__________________

__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
miylee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: california
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyBear View Post
I'm guilty, here, too. Got caught up in the discussion.

Miylee, you said that your plants weren't doing well, but they look really good in the pic. What is it that's going wrong with them?

You mentioned you got a different light source, but the bright LED's that came with my Fluval have been fine for my plants, but they are on a timer for 14 hours each day. But I may have low-light plants.

You mentioned the pre-filter sponge by Fluval to cover up the intake valve. I've looked at it, too. Are you wanting it just for aesthetic purposes to cover up the plactic valve? I think that it will cut down on your filter flow, and it will keep large bits of detritus (like pieces of plants, etc.) from being filtered out. It does keep smaller critters like small shrimp and fish from being sucked into it, but I havn't had any issues with my amano or cherry shrimp. It would hide the intake valve if that's what you're aiming for, but some big plants in front of it would do that, too.

You mentioned dirty specks after using the bacteria solution. I never noticed that with mine. Did they go away?

Your tank looks really nice already. I think someone asked what kind of substrate you used, but I didn't catch the answer. Is it some kind of plant substrate? I've had some problems with plants floating up a little and exposing their roots with my gravel, but I push them back down and eventually they hold--I think the roots have to get established. I'd like to know what you used, though, because it looks really nice and clean.
I guess I may have over exaggerated.. it was only 1 of my plants that wasn't doing too well... actually its pretty much a gonner from the looks of it now, all torn and see through. It's strange, because the rest seem to be doing okay. I think it may be the whole light and timing thing. i think that you mentioned that your plants are possibly doing well because of the consistent lighting conditions and I have yet to buy a timer. going to school and running around late sometimes gets me off guard to turn off my lights or even I would turn them off early if I know i wont be home to turn them off till late. i think ill probably go pick one up tomorrow.. and I am considering to do the fish in cycle w/ seeding material for the fluval and a fishless for my new 6 gallon mr.aqua rimless tank i got several days ago

The pre-filter sponge was bought mainly for asthetics but also in preparation for future fry if the tank was to get some kinda surprise.
the substrate that I used in the tank was bought at my lfs, named Neptunes, besides their ADA Amazonian soil was this knockoff brand which was a little cheaper but was recommended to me by the sa who has used the same substrate for his planted tank. he says its basically the same stuff, made in japan, forgot the name of it, might've been written in japanese even :P

oh and those stubborn speckles from the good bacteria i added in the tank...they went away after I slightly brushed them off the leafs surface :3
__________________

__________________
miylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
miylee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: california
Posts: 42
btw, i really enjoy the stocking of your fluval. looks like so much fun to watch everyone busy at work and enjoying the liveliness of it all ^_^
__________________
miylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
miylee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: california
Posts: 42
lol Godfan, sorry off topic, but does lot of ppl tell you that your sig is awesome? yay for pudding :]
__________________
miylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
OBEYtheFISH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bridgetown
Posts: 1,194
I love your tank (:
__________________
OBEYtheFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Bigtank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver , CO
Posts: 7
Looks really good. Have you decided on what fish you want when your tank is ready?.
__________________
Bigtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
miylee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: california
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtank View Post
Looks really good. Have you decided on what fish you want when your tank is ready?.
ty i have narrowed down to... red cherry shrimp, celestial pearl danio, harlequin rasboras, mosquito microrasbora/ other micro rasbora species, a/o betta.
__________________
miylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
BarleyBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by miylee View Post
I guess I may have over exaggerated.. it was only 1 of my plants that wasn't doing too well... actually its pretty much a gonner from the looks of it now, all torn and see through. It's strange, because the rest seem to be doing okay. I think it may be the whole light and timing thing. i think that you mentioned that your plants are possibly doing well because of the consistent lighting conditions and I have yet to buy a timer. going to school and running around late sometimes gets me off guard to turn off my lights or even I would turn them off early if I know i wont be home to turn them off till late. i think ill probably go pick one up tomorrow.. and I am considering to do the fish in cycle w/ seeding material for the fluval and a fishless for my new 6 gallon mr.aqua rimless tank i got several days ago

The pre-filter sponge was bought mainly for asthetics but also in preparation for future fry if the tank was to get some kinda surprise.
the substrate that I used in the tank was bought at my lfs, named Neptunes, besides their ADA Amazonian soil was this knockoff brand which was a little cheaper but was recommended to me by the sa who has used the same substrate for his planted tank. he says its basically the same stuff, made in japan, forgot the name of it, might've been written in japanese even :P

oh and those stubborn speckles from the good bacteria i added in the tank...they went away after I slightly brushed them off the leafs surface :3
I think you'll see a marked improvement with your plants on the timer. Consistency is supposed to be very important, and the timer allows you to just set it and forget it. thanks for the info on the substrate. And good luck with everything!
__________________
--Chris in Pensacola
Fluval Edge 12 Gallon Planted
1 HM Male Betta, 9 Cardinal Tetras, 3 False Julii Corys, 1 Clown Pleco
Golden Apple & Tiger Nerite Snails, Cherry & Amano Shrimp
BarleyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
BarleyBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by miylee View Post
btw, i really enjoy the stocking of your fluval. looks like so much fun to watch everyone busy at work and enjoying the liveliness of it all ^_^
Thanks! Sometimes I just pull a bench up and watch it like its a television! There's always someone doing something interesting in there.
__________________
--Chris in Pensacola
Fluval Edge 12 Gallon Planted
1 HM Male Betta, 9 Cardinal Tetras, 3 False Julii Corys, 1 Clown Pleco
Golden Apple & Tiger Nerite Snails, Cherry & Amano Shrimp
BarleyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
BarleyBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by miylee View Post
ty i have narrowed down to... red cherry shrimp, celestial pearl danio, harlequin rasboras, mosquito microrasbora/ other micro rasbora species, a/o betta.
Sounds like a good combo for a betta community tank. Keeps us posted how things work out. And take pics, of course!
__________________

__________________
--Chris in Pensacola
Fluval Edge 12 Gallon Planted
1 HM Male Betta, 9 Cardinal Tetras, 3 False Julii Corys, 1 Clown Pleco
Golden Apple & Tiger Nerite Snails, Cherry & Amano Shrimp
BarleyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
12g, aquascape, cap, fluval, fluval edge, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New from north burbs of Chicago- Fluval Edge Stocking Questions Xave Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 3 12-28-2011 02:42 PM
Fluval Edge 23ltr Video asboss Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 0 11-14-2011 03:23 PM
New 12gal Fluval Edge Algae Already? cath1024 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 8 10-26-2011 06:43 PM
Issues with getting siphon to start on Fluval Edge! electro_cute Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 08-06-2011 04:02 PM
Hubert's Fluval Edge Build Thread! Hubert90 Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 8 07-10-2011 03:48 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.