Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2008, 11:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Looks malaysian to me.

I like the third pic the best, but like Neilanh, I think the first is the worst. It's not that it's bad, it's just that the latter two are better, with the third being the best IMO.

Karackle, I love your tank and think it looks soooo much better than before. Your stocking is similar to mine as well, I love that pic of the gourami. You can tell by its vibrant colors that it is happy and healthy, good job!

One suggestion, and this is JMO, but I think your gravel is stealing the show. My eye wants to focus on the plants and wander but it keeps being drawn to the gravel. JMO.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:29 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow so many great responses, thank you!!!

Neilanh - I agree with you, i think the 3rd looks the best, i agree it looks crisp and clean, but you are also right in that the 2nd picture looks much closer to what you see by eye.

Sahabo - Thank you! And (Zagz pitt420dude were on the money) it's Malaysian Driftwood.

Zagz - Thank you so much! I really appreciate that

pitt420dude - Thank you so much for the kind words, the tank certainly has come a long way! i'm so glad i can share it! I know, the gravel isn't the best. I was hoping when i doubled the volume by adding as much black as there was blue and purple it would look more black, but alas, it wasn't so. I worked with what i had though so i'll take it for now. perhaps looks for a really low light carpet plant to cover up some of the colored gravel. Or wait until i want to tear down the entire thing and re-scape it, and change the substrate then. Thanks for the input though! And thanks for the kind words about the gourami, sadly, i recently had some intestinal parasites in my system and the gourami and my young guppy were the only two that didn't make it He was very happy and healthy until then, and even got along with my Bettas! Sigh...not sure what, if anything, to get to replace him, I wonder if I got really like and get a docile gourami, or whether another would work. We shall see.

Again, thanks everyone for the encouraging and helpful info!!!

I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Love the tank, it looks so big!! I'm toying with the idea of a carpet too.

I have a friend who had similar stocking (female bettas with a gourami; she recently lost the bettas, not sure why). Her gourami was afraid of the bettas from what she said though. Sometime eventually, I want to set up a 10 community tank of female bettas. Or maybe I'll do a male betta with less colorful schooling fish. Too many fish to choose from and not enough time .
JessieVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks! I really appreciate that! Yeah...i'm thinking about the carpet...i'm going to my LFS tomorrow to see what's out there for plant and lighting options. We'll see.

Your ideas for a 10g sounds cool! In my opinion, I'd go with a couple females if you can find brightly colored ones, they have quite a bit of personality A nice male betta with some friends is a good idea though too of course, but females tend to do better with commuity fish....less fins to get nipped at
Old 05-19-2008, 12:42 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was away for 3 days last weekend and my roommate accidentally left my fish tank lights on the whole time and unfortunately there was a lot of plant die-off in my 5g, BUT my 20g apparently had enough nutrients to sustain the extra growth from the added light and they grew like crazy! My crypt spiralis (or balansae) was pearling like mad when I got home. My large anubias (i realized it's probably an anubias and not a large crypt wendtii) in the front grew a whole large new leaf in the past week!

Here's a couple new pics of the tank:

Would it look better if I pulled out the purple cabomba and moved the large anubias to the corner where the cabomba is now?
Here's a close-up of that corner:

And I finally got a clear and decent picture of the blue female betta:

Any input, feedback, questions, comments, or concerns would be great!
Old 05-20-2008, 02:02 AM   #16
Sliced Bread

Wow, that surprises me about the 20. Plants need a rest period too, surprising they're doing so well after going without it for a while.

I can't ID what you think is an anubias for sure, but I believe it to be some type of crypt. If you can get a closer photo of the one in the back we can id that one too, but from here it looks like balansae to me too.

The tall stems you have front/left IMO should be kept trimmed low or moved to the back. It's blocking the view of a large portion of your tank. Overall the tank will appear much larger if you free up that space by moving that plant to the back. I have that same plant in my tank, and for the life of me right now it's name escapes me.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:23 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

That looks like Limnophila sessiliflora to me in that corner, rather than a Cabomba. Fact that its growing at all indicates its the Limnophila as well, as a Cabomba wouldn't tolerate the shade in that corner, while the Limnophila would survive it.

Dave
Old 05-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Neilanh - That's a good point, maybe i'll move the Wisteria to the back right corner, leave the anubias where it is (i thought it was a large crypt, but the leaves don't see the same as my other crypts, different shape, texture and they're sturdier), and maybe put the cabomba (if it is that) where the Wisteria is, since it is thinner it might not block as much of the tank? Perhaps i'll try that this afternoon as the tank is due for a water change

Dave - I looked up the Limnophila and Cabomba and based on the pictures, the leaves are really more the cabomba shape, but it's definitely possible it's not cabomba. It is not fairing as well in that shaded corner as it does in my 5g.

Thanks for the input! More is always welcome!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, despite the poor health and subsequent passing of my 3 platys, the 20g and it's inhabitants are doing wonderfully. So i think it is time to replace some of my fauna. The question is, who do i add? The current inhabitants are as follows: 3 female bettas, 3 zebra danios, 3 glo light tetras, 3 neon tetras, 1 femlare guppy, 1 clown Pleco. Previous inhabitants included a Dwarf Blue Gourami and the platys, as well as other guppies, male guppies tend not to do as well, i think they get picked on by the female bettas.

I was thinking of getting another female guppy to keep the one i have company (perhaps this isn't necessary?) And either a few more Neons and/or Glolights, OR a trio of cories? Though i hear they do better in larger numbers, but I'm not sure I have room for too many?

Any and all thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated! Other stocking ideas welcome as well!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

I just caught up with this thread and the plant ID seems to be undetermined still? It looks like a crypt wendtii to me and not an anubias (anubias tend to have thick rhizomes and stems and very broad leaves).

Anywho, looks like you have things in order. If not neons, try cardinals!

Tags
20 gallon, journal, plant, planted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com