My 21L Nano Tank, New Ocellaris Clownfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ooooh ok haha! I can't get a photo of the shrimp because he's always hiding under his rock haha.

But here's some more. I bought a Scooter Blenny yesterday. I love Blennys!! Now I have all the fish I want :)

I hope everyone had a great Christmas!! :D

Thats a nice Blenny! :D I like the bottom two shots. :D Nice Starfish. (y) Thanks for the FTS. I'll give you some soon. I've got 150-200 bucks for fish shopping! :D

Oh very good!! haha I look forward to seeing what you get! Thanks for the kind words :)

Hmmm my smaller clown fish now hides up at the top in between the ceiling of the tank and the filter, like it's his own little anemone lol. This is whilst the slightly bigger one is wandering round, looking at everything, not allowed to go near the small ones so called 'anemone' lol.

Thanks melosu58! Im glad you like the pics!!

Im glad you bought a scooter Mitchell0605!! They are the best haha. Does yours look at you when you come up to the glass? And have you caught himself tucking into the sand for bedtime? haha I watched mine once and he wouldnt do it, stepped out of my room for literally like 10 seconds, came back and he was covered up lol.

My smaller clown is getting picked on an awful lot by the bigger one, im guessing the bigger one could be becoming female? My smaller one tends to hide from it and stays in the one corner now :( And his little fins, top bottom and tail are losing the black stripe, not the length just the colour :(

Well I don't have a star fish anymore, he died today :'( I was quite upset as I don't handle death easily, who does though.
Got him out, did a partial water change, cleaned all the filter and everything, the fish seem all fine. My test kit arrived today too. Everything seems ok now, the nitrates a little off but going to do another water change tomorrow.
woah just saw my blenny pick at a brittle star in my tank.

But, I am thinking of getting a bigger tank now...

No more fish tankness for a while :( I lost one of my favourite fish today, the Blenny. And I've given my partner one of my clown fish and giving my other one back to the store. I just havent had much luck with my tank and don't want to risk any other deaths. So, packing it in. I will be keeping the tank running, and will be getting a nice big one in about 4 or 5 months time after my holiday.

Awww - sad to hear :(

Scanned through the posts - got a couple of questions for you (might sound silly, but they may help you work out what was killing/harming the fish):

- How long have you had the tank?
- Did you cycle the tank before intoducing the fish?
- What are your parameters (in particular: Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, Temp)

A few comments based on your posts:
- Starfish are best off added to a tank that has been established for 6 months+ (there may have not been enough algae for it to graze on)
- The Blenny is classed as a "difficult" to keep fish - "The Scooter Blenny may be a difficult fish to keep due to its feeding habits."

See this link on the Blenny: Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Scooter Blenny
See this link on the seastar (not sure what kind you had, but its all relative): Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Orange Sea Star

Chin up - better luck with your new tank!
It's all a learning curve!

Hi there, thanks for posting Sharpie :)

I let the tank cycle for just over a month... and then added my fish. had them for another month. The clowns have been fine. And so was the Blenny. Of course the one night I didn't sleep at home something must have been up and the next day we try to save the Blenny but it was too late. :'(

The day the Fromia Starfish died I was reading up about them and thought I had best put him in my partners 144L tank that we've had for a year. I was about to get him out when I noticed he was dying.

Here are my parameters...

Temp: 24
PH: 7.9
Ammonia: 0.1
Nitrate: 10ppm
Nitrite: 0.05ppm
Alkalinity: Normal 1.7-2.8

Thanks for those articles. I think I will wait a long time before getting another Blenny.
And thanks for your encouragement. I guess I can only learn...
What do you think of my parameters? They seem ok-ish to me?

I'm looking at getting a Blue Planet Atlantis 140L tank when I'm back from my holiday. Just wish I didn't have to wait so long.

Thanks again

Any time Pingu! (any relation to the awesome TV show??)
Love to help and learn from fellow Aussies!

We can all learn a lot from the experts on this site - But still being new myself - here's my take on your parameters:

Temp: 24 (maybe a little too low - 25 should be the target)
PH: 7.9 (also could be higher - 8.2 is optimal)
Ammonia: 0.1 (ultimatley should be at zero)
Nitrate: 10ppm (this is good - shows that there is bacteria in your tank)
Nitrite: 0.05ppm (this COULD be a worry as with the ammonia)
Alkalinity: Normal 1.7-2.8 (sounds OK)

Ammonia and nitrite is generally a sign that your tank is going through another mini cycle - which could have slowly been effecting your fish.

What about your SG? (Specific Gravity)

These are my tanks parameters:
Temp - 25-26
pH - 8.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20 (struggling to bring this down as I started with tap water now RODI)
SG - 1.023/1.024

Keep the nano tank going, and it will be much easier to cylce the 140L tank you are getting!

PS - My martial arts instructor told me if we stop learning, we die.
Harsh way to put it, but it essentially, reality!

Not the Blenny! :( Thats sad to hear. Hope it all goes well after the holiday Pingu. :)
I agree with Sharpie, your tank was probably going through a mini cycle. Ahh well we are Aussies! A load of tough buggers we are! Lets keep steaming on! :)

BTW Shapire, The Scooter as a difficult fish? I've had mine for 2-3 weeks now and he's fine. He eats and buries himself etc. I don't quite get the difficutly of fish judgement thing cause my Blenny has been easy. Although it may be something to do with my tanks maturity.

I haven't had a Scooter before so its not from experience -

I put in quotes: "difficult" for a few reasons - a SALES assistant at one of my LFS would have sold me anything, but my mate at my specialty marine store wouldn't sell one unless he knew the tank was well established, as he has had a hard time in the past getting them to eat - but you will find some fish don't live up to their so called temperament and are ravenous!!

(on another note, when I bought my firefish gobies, I was told it may take some time for them to eat frozen foods, and even longer to accept marine pellets - however I had them on the dry food within 4-5 days!)

So I guess it comes down to luck of the draw in some cases.

Looking to buy a 22L and keep a single ocellaris clown!

Hi,
I saw your post about your 21L tank, and thought I would ask about it. Do you have any issues keeping ocellaris clowns in such a small tank?? I have been stressing about whether I should look at a bigger tank straight away or not (yes Ive done my research and have bought all of the test kits etc that keeping saltwater fish requires, and I know there is a lot of work involved), anyhow everything I have read says that ocellaris clowns should be kept in a min tank size of 40-50L or 8-10gallons etc, but I only want to keep one, and later get a larger tank and keep captive bred seahorses. I guess more or less I was looking for an Australian poster to set my mind at rest about this issue, and this is the first decent Australian post that I have come across in regard to ocellaris clowns.
Your help would be greatly appreciated,
Jess
:)

Back
Top Bottom