My 30G Hex FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LjGar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my baby... hoping to get another set up sometime in spring, but for now this is the object of my affection. :wink:

contents:
1 H-Line Catfish
1 Bumble Bee Catfish
1 Peacock Eel
1 Gold Guarami
1 Opaline Guarami
1 African Black Kife Fish
1 Needle Nose Gar
3 Black-Skirt Tetras
and about 5 baby apple snails... or at least I think there are 5 :?

I have thought about a background, but it being a hex tank I don't know how I feel about covering any of the sides.... I enjoy that it's visable from all around, ya know?

Hi LjGar,
You stated;
I have thought about a background, but it being a hex tank I don't know how I feel about covering any of the sides.... I enjoy that it's visable from all around, ya know?
Have you considered automotive window tint? You could get some of the lighter stuff 35% (not limousine black) and put it on the back three sides. You could still see in from those sides because of the extra light inside but you would gain the extra contrast of your fish and their colors, against the darker background, when you look in from the front.

Just a thought.

Thats a nice, interesting tank. I've not seen too many people with that sort of tank, it's always better to be different. :)

Love the catfish by the way, how much did you pay for it ? Is it tricky to keep ? Do you find it gets on well with the other fish ?

Grant: the cat was only about 7 bucks, and he's not difficult to care for at all. He is a little bit aggresive towards the other fish, but he's never harmed any of them - seems to be mostly a dominance thing.

Thanks, I'll have a look for some more info online to check for it's compatibility / water preferences etc. What is the exact specie name ?

Thanks, :)

LOVE THE TANK! Don't worry about how many pics you post, I personally wouldn't have minded seeing a few more,lol. I post pics of my tank all the time. We all love fish here, and seeing a new baby is great fun for all of us. You did a wonderful job with atmosphere and fish choice. Don't blame you for not wanting a background on such a nice tank. My upstairs neighbor has a 45 gallon s/w hex and she has no background either. Thanks for posting the pics, I enjoyed them all. Everyone should post a pic of their fish in my opinion. They are all worth a look! :D

I've attempted many times to try and figure out his/her species name, but I've failed misserably. It seems that the pet store I purchased him at is the only one that calls them "h-line" cats, and I haven't ever seen them anywhere else. My dad, who lives in Tx, knew what fish I was talking about when I mentioned it to him, but everyone else always asks what it looks like. I don't know what kind of water conditions it really favors, but it seems to flurish in my tank.... although cats are generally pretty adaptable to most conditions. I keep the temp between 76 and 78, and I used 1 Tbsp of aquarium salt for every 5 gallons of water to keep my gar, and eels happy. Honestly that cat has been the most healthy, harty fish in the tank since we started it.

I'm a big fan of the pictus actually.. it's rather common in the stores around here. I actually almost got one once, but decided one large silver and black cat was enough for one tank. ;)

Back
Top Bottom