My aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcolon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Figured this is the time to showcase my 75 gal Barb (4x each Tiger & Albino, 3x each Black ruby & Green Barbs) tank. Had 4x Green Barbs, but one passed on Sunday. In there somewhere's a RTS & Blue Gourami .... Honest :)

Hope the pic comes out well.

Attachments

• image-666606599.jpg
    image-666606599.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 398
Thanks ... I'm considering mixing in some black colored substrate. I read that a dark background and substrate really bring out color of the Barbs ... especially the Tiger and Black Ruby. But .. I may wait a few more months, let the Barbs get bigger so they really stand out in a darker tank.

Anytime you feel like it, post more pics :)

I switched about 75% of my black regular aquarium gravel for a black sand, Instant Aquarium Tahition Moon. I couldn't find Super Naturals Tahition Moon, which is less messy.
It looks very good, the sand in places has a glisten\sparkle to it.
Will look great with the greens and tigers for sure.

Oh did I mention setting up Slate caves? I've seen photos and I really like the look of them. I think Slate caves give the tank a much more natural look and hiding place. That and some more plants along the back. I just want to go with an all natural look. Nothing I can do about the pirate ship .. it's my son's ... besides I'm sure there are sunken pirate ships in nature somewhere ... ;-)

The ship is kinda neat :)
I wish I still had the one (and everything else) I used to have as kid.

I bought 2 slate floor tiles and wound up with 3 DIY pieces.
Much nicer than what the usual stores offer, and fun to make.
I have a few photos of one or two of them up in my gallery profile.

Wow, I just got a look at the Slate Cave ... I think it looks great ... exactly what I'm looking to do. Thanks for inspiration!

Below is my tank with a black colored gravel substrate ... I added about 25lbs worth on top of the previous gravel. In areas I kept it all black and in others I've mixed some of the old and new. I love the look of Black background on Black substrate. It really makes all the colors inside the tank POP!:eek:

jcolon said:
Thank You!

I couldn't be more pleased. Amazing what a change in substrate color does:eek:!

Ya! Tell me about it! Are those real plants? If so ur tank will look even more magnificent after a few months!! U BEAUTY

Ya! Tell me about it! Are those real plants? If so ur tank will look even more magnificent after a few months!! U BEAUTY

Yep ... real plants only for me! ... well ... except for what's attached to the fake log and slate cave:brows:. But yes .. what you see are real .. Amazon Sword, Java Fern, Anacharis, Mondo Grass which I know is not truly aquatic, but is still alive for now. I will be replacing it with wisteria ... and the lone bambo. I had a white ribbon which I took out and put in a planter outside.

My next project ... real slate caves an hollowed out log.

Thank you all for your comments, I did not want to give the impression I was only thanking one of you.

Looks awesome! i wish i had gone with the black substrate, it looks great!

Maybe you can find a way to do black substrate down the road?

In all honesty, this site helped me muster the courage to add the dark substrate. So it's good to know fellow aquarium fans can appreciate my
efforts.

Slate caves are next on the list!:dance:

Here's a pic with my new ultrasun bulb and new plants. I do admit I miss the subdued florasun pink / violet colored light ... But the plants were not thriving. Since adding the new bulb they seem to be healthier. Sure does make the living-room brighter at night!

Back
Top Bottom