My fahaka puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool. How big is he now? My little fellow is at 4inches now. He was 2inches when i got him in december 2011. Im thinking he still have some internal parasite slowing down his growth or he naturally is a slow grower. I have heard of fahakas from certain areas of the world that are smaller than the average 18inch as an adult.

He's grown about an inch, so he's about 3" now, it was like he wasn't growing wasn't growing them boom he grew an inch. I think he ate my fire eel though.

From what I read they're supposed to grow an inch a month for the first year. I have a crayfish In with mine and he's been munching on him since he was little.

lol crayfish must be fighting for survival. I'm trying to fix my leak in my tank system and then get some sand for burying. I'm really excited to see some these guys bury.

I have two puffers and a descent sand bed and neither of them bury themselves. I've got an amazon puffer too, can't find another one anywhere, but trying to. He swims around crazy all day long and the fahaka rarely stops either.

What kind of sand are you planning on using in yours? I have pool filter sand and 4 bags of black sand from Petco as the bed.

Spectra quartz sand. I bought 100lbs of black sand, but im not sure if i like the look of black. I might go for the natural light brown color.

That's pretty cool. I was talking to an employee at a chain store that shall remain nameless but has the word smart in it and she was trying to tell me the fahaka is a brackish puffer I told her thanks for the info and walked away cause there's just no talking to some people.

Barney is slightly longer than 4". He is suppose to be at 7" by now. I recently posted on the puffer forum and they seem to think its a good idea to retreat for internal parasites. Its the only other thing that could slow down the growth rate. Another guy on the puffer forum got a 2" puffer at the same time as the time I got my 2" puffer. His is doing well at 7" and growing according to schedule.

Hey Terrance I got to see my fahaka tear up a crayfish today. He hasn't touched anyone else In The tank accept the crays and the frozen bloodworms I drop in there.

Yeah its pretty cool when they tear up a crayfish. Where did you get the crayfish? If your family isn't against you breeding crayfish for food, then look into setting up a marbled crayfish tank. I had to stop because the wife got attached to the baby crays.

I'm waiting for the asian market to sell live crayfish for $5 per pound. Good deal :)

I have a marbled cray fish for about a month now I'm just waiting for it to start having clones. I've seen it with a bunch of little black eggs under its tail and one day they were just gone no babies or anything though. I'm just waiting now for her to have them again.

Following this one. I sold my stingray and traded my 3 adult discus for a quarter inch fahaka today.

Hondatek that's cool you picked one up they have a lot of personality. I've got mine to eat feeders, crayfish, frozen bloodworms, frozen krill, and ghost shrimp. The trick is to figure out early what they'll eat.

Yea I have plenty of puffer food in stock for my porcupine . So you do feed them fish? I know some puffers naturally eat fish and some don't . Like I never feed my porc fish because of fatty liver disease. Do fahakas eat fish in the wild?

I don't think they eat fish in the wild. I'd only feed fry fish every once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom