My first ever aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charbel.eid9

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just a preview of what i have in my first experimental tank. All comments are welcome :)

Attachments

• image-259851600.jpg
    image-259851600.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 272
  • image-641769391.jpg
    image-641769391.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 272
  • image-3515108627.jpg
    image-3515108627.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 282
  • image-266566209.jpg
    image-266566209.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 315
  • image-3611492709.jpg
    image-3611492709.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 274
  • image-713129969.jpg
    image-713129969.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 276
The third picture looks like a cichlid.. The fourth picture looks like it has a goldfish in the background....

Are they in the same tank?

Ah no i removed the goldfish cz it wont make it with all those agressive fishes.

Cdepriest6009 said:
It looks pretty good you should get a full tank shot and post it.

I will soon after i rearrange it cz it needs lots of work and honestly i need help in what getting as equipments for a good water quality.

Dissy said:
The third picture looks like a cichlid.. The fourth picture looks like it has a goldfish in the background....

Are they in the same tank?

The third picture is a yellow prince. It started hyperactive and now all other fishes are hating it; they bite it in the tail.

The third picture is a yellow prince. It started hyperactive and now all other fishes are hating it; they bite it in the tail.

A yellow prince cichlid?? (Never heard of them; just googled it, and it came up as a cichlid)..

Cichids and goldfish are NOT compatible in any way, shape, or form. One will die.

Goldfish are cold water fish - heaters will kill them.

Cichlids are warmer water fish - no heat will kill them.

What else do you have in that tank?

A yellow prince cichlid?? (Never heard of them; just googled it, and it came up as a cichlid)..

Cichids and goldfish are NOT compatible in any way, shape, or form. One will die.

Goldfish are cold water fish - heaters will kill them.

Cichlids are warmer water fish - no heat will kill them.

What else do you have in that tank?

Nope. Actually, many goldfish are bred in heated tanks. Remember, goldfish have been bred for centuries. They are quite well adapted to every water condition imaginable. Sure we like to say that they need 72F water but that's impossible. Outdoor ponds are known to climb to 80F and my own pond gets to 84 in the texas heat.

And yes, my koi AND goldfish have spawned for me before.

It's a misconception people have to say "coldwater" means they die in warm water. It may be true for things like balitorids but certainly not goldfish.

Additonally goldfish prefer harder water as well 8-8.4ph so I would say a goldfish is a great tank mate for peaceful cichlids in a very very large tank.

I would say a goldfish is a great tank mate for peaceful cichlids in a very very large tank.

Hmm, I would still do this with care though. Even peaceful cichlids might be tempted by those long, flowing fins. I know I would not risk any type of cichlid in my community.

Hmm, I would still do this with care though. Even peaceful cichlids might be tempted by those long, flowing fins. I know I would not risk any type of cichlid in my community.

Sorry let me be clearer. A common goldfish or short tailed shubunkin. Fish that get large (on the order of 14") and with short fins would fair well with peaceful cichlids. The question now is what are some peaceful africans lol.

Nope. Actually, many goldfish are bred in heated tanks. Remember, goldfish have been bred for centuries. They are quite well adapted to every water condition imaginable. Sure we like to say that they need 72F water but that's impossible. Outdoor ponds are known to climb to 80F and my own pond gets to 84 in the texas heat.

And yes, my koi AND goldfish have spawned for me before.

It's a misconception people have to say "coldwater" means they die in warm water. It may be true for things like balitorids but certainly not goldfish.

Additonally goldfish prefer harder water as well 8-8.4ph so I would say a goldfish is a great tank mate for peaceful cichlids in a very very large tank.

Even peaceful cichlids aren't peaceful.... That goldfish would be lunch in any cichlid tank I've ever seen, including rams, which are some of the smallest, and most peaceful I've ever seen...

As and ad-on to Crepe's post.

Goldfish will also start spawning with the warmer water much more frequently. Our pond fish spawn as soon as the water gets to 75ish and don't stop all summer through to fall. You want tank ones to spawn, slowly turn the heat up, clean the water and get them fat on mosquito larvae.

They do however like oxygen rich waters which is were the "cold water" comes in. Cooler tanks are usually better for oxygen. Got a warm tank? No problem, add an air stone or 2, or a power head to get the oxygen flowing.

Our river tank was supposed to be a "cool water" tank. Hillstream loaches are labeled as cool water fish and great for goldie tanks.

This tank never gets below 76 degrees (there's no heater in it either) but I have 3 power heads going on a custom filter. Plenty of oxygen in that tank.

Sorry let me be clearer. A common goldfish or short tailed shubunkin. Fish that get large (on the order of 14") and with short fins would fair well with peaceful cichlids. The question now is what are some peaceful africans lol.

I think that it all depends up on experience. Anyone who gets a cichlid should be prepared for potential aggression, imo.

Even peaceful cichlids aren't peaceful.... That goldfish would be lunch in any cichlid tank I've ever seen, including rams, which are some of the smallest, and most peaceful I've ever seen...

I've had rams and I can attest for their docile nature. They aren't mean at all. Even many africans aren't that bad if you give them room. In fact for a period of about 3 months I tossed a Kenyi and auratus in my pond (for fun) before I gave it away to someone with a real cichlid tank and it did great. No trouble came of it at all.

Ah, yeah, in a pond... but that's a lot of room compared to a tank!

Ah, yeah, in a pond... but that's a lot of room compared to a tank!

That is true but I think for things like shell dwellers and some select mbuna you'd be fine. Of course I wouldn't toss a little feeder in a tank of 6" africans and expect it to prosper. But if the goldfish is substantially large enough and the tank companions are carefully chosen no problems should arise except maybe at spawning. But even then, goldfish are used to VERY rough sex. I've seen my 12"comet shoot out of the water a foot while being pursued by males.

I've had rams and I can attest for their docile nature. They aren't mean at all. Even many africans aren't that bad if you give them room. In fact for a period of about 3 months I tossed a Kenyi and auratus in my pond (for fun) before I gave it away to someone with a real cichlid tank and it did great. No trouble came of it at all.

Go stick a big, fat fantail goldfish in a tank of Rams, and let me know how that works out for you after about a month. :biglol:

Back
Top Bottom