My first (planted) Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac11

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is my first planted aquarium. First aquarium in general. Its cycling right now, thats why theres no fish.

-29 Gal., Fluval 150w heater, 24" T8 17watt full spectrum bulb, Marineland bio-wheel Penguin 200 filter, 1 Amazon sword, 2 Anubias Nana, 2 Anubias gigantea, 2 Java Ferns, and some Hornwort.

Planning on putting some gouramis and tetras in there.

Feedback would be great! :D

Attachments

• DSCN3705.jpg
    DSCN3705.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCN3701.jpg
    DSCN3701.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 136
Tank looks nice! First question is that the stock lighting it came with? And also is the sword in the substrate I don't see it?

thank you! and no its not, its attached to one of my driftwood pieces with some string.

Your sword has to be in your substrate it feeds through the roots unlike your anubias or java fern. You will need root tabs for your sword. Also swords need a moderate to low high light generally I don't know the exact type you have.

oh well thanks i was unaware of this. Its already sprouted 4 new leaves (2 of them an inch in length already) so its growing pretty quickly i think. How does those work? I use API Leafzone fert once a week but I assume if it needs to be in the sub then that really has no effect on it

Really? I would have expected it not to grow. Swords or other root feeders in general need a nutrient rich substrate or root tabs. You can find roots tabs at any big chain store there basically ferts that you put under your substrate so that root feeders can get what they need.

They're cheaper and work extremely better if you make them yourself.

Although if you just want to buy them is go with the seachem brand I've never used them but have heard good things. I'd stay away from API root tabs as any growth I saw from them did not look healthy at all.

well I guess im gonna have to get some of those for it. Il try and find seachem

Back
Top Bottom