My five dollar Flowerhorn Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V227

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got this little guy or gal about five weeks ago from Petco. He was in a African Cichlid display tank with numerous juvenile Mbuna. The 3/4 inch FH was completely surrounded by Mbuna, holding his own against the overwhelming aggression. I have no idea how the little FH ended up in an A. Cichlid tank or Petco for that matter. The Petco clerk sold the FH to me for five bucks. The FH has grown a full inch and is coloring up nicely. I don't know what variety of Flowerhorn it is or the sex. If anyone has a guess, let me know.

Attachments

• 20180108_101702.jpg
    20180108_101702.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 20180107_115702.jpg
    20180107_115702.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 100
Yes five bucks is very inexpensive for a Flowerhorn. They aren't readily available, but $25 - $30
for juveniles is the going rate in my area. This was a classic impulse buy. I really never wanted to deal with the potential aggression issues that keeping a Flowerhorn might bring. I've kept aggressive New Worlds in the past with no substantial problems so I decided to go for it.
The little guy is growing and happily swimming in my 120 gal. Along with several Firemouth juveniles, a Red Texas and numerous large Tetras.
So far so good. This has been a very fun fish. I'm hoping that a member might be able to identify the particular variety of my FH. Probably to early to determine sex.

Back
Top Bottom