my kribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paxdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
finally was able to get a couple pics of my kribs!

Attachments

• krib female.jpg
    krib female.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 150
  • krib male.jpg
    krib male.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 131
Malawi MaD said:
Very nice :)

Thanks. I love them. The pics don't do them justice. They have better color than you can see in the pics. Took them with my phone.

I love mine, here's a pic or two, first is the pair cuddling and then the momma with her babies

Attachments

• image-3729562615.jpg
    image-3729562615.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 111
  • image-1908229637.jpg
    image-1908229637.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 116
Big-j said:
I love mine, here's a pic or two, first is the pair cuddling and then the momma with her babies

Awesome. How many times has she had babies? I read that the first few times the might eat them.

It is true. They sometimes eat the fry. Mine did the first 2 spawns... I love my kribs to I have a photo on my profile page if you want to see

I've read both ways are possible, my male has no spots on his caudal fin but I've heard they can. And Pax, my pair spawned once and ate the eggs, second time about 100 babies were swimming, only 5 of those are left, they are about an inch and a half long now, and the third spawn has 12 left alive and they are still fairly small

thegundog said:
In Pax's images which one is the male(?) and which one is the female?

Is the spot on the Caudal fin indicative of male or female.

The females have the more red belly. I think that is the primary way to tell male from female

thegundog said:
In Pax's images which one is the male(?) and which one is the female?

Is the spot on the Caudal fin indicative of male or female.

The first picture is female and the second one is a male. 100%sure on that! Also the spot is not an indicator at all. My one male has 3 spots on his. Just a difference between two different fish... The males dorsal fin extends to a point while the female blocks off...

Paxdaddy said:
The females have the more red belly. I think that is the primary way to tell male from female

When the female isn't gravid she doesn't have the purple belly. Also when she is stressed/ lays eggs the belly will shrink and colour might fade. On one occasion one of my females had no colour while raising the fry. The next batch she did have some colour. Also the males normally tend to colour up more while raising the fry. At least from what I have seen

I just quickly compared my males to females and the anal fin comes to
More of a point on the males. How big is your pair?

Back
Top Bottom