my new planted turtle tank with Co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

potatochobit

Aquarium Advice Regular
img_1602647_0_9efeda6e698c8b3f0388a068d1520866.jpg

here is my new turtle tank
keep in mind, I do NOT recommend anyone else do this for turtles
turtles are a PITA, I expect 85% of these plants to get eaten
turtles are best kept in a large tank with no substrate that can easily be emptied and cleaned, turtles also eat small rocks because they are DUMB and could die from it.

this tank requires DAILY maintenance, it will make a lovely cory tank next summer when the turtle goes outside.
if you look at the back and the right it seems like a lawnmower went through there, that was the turtle.
he bites plants in half, then uses them as a raft - even though he has plenty of leafy green vegetables floating which I feed him constantly.

I have a Raphael catfish and rainbow shark in here as well but you cant see them, they hide most of the day. Raphael catfish are just as big of pigs as turtles. This is not my video but it is very representative of them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcwheHjfcVo Keeping fish with turtles is VERY risky, you need to be smart about it. The fish should be big as the turtle or bigger or they will get eaten someday. catfish also have barbs, if the turtle ever bites him they could both end up dying...

for the plants I am using the Hagen Co2 system, which is basically the same as a DIY soda bottle. I have three lights, one full spectrum for the plants and the UVB and heatlamp are for the turtle. Im not sure if plants benefit or are harmed by ultraviolet. The filter is a sunsun aquatop. The plants are a little close together Ill move them around as the turtles eats them... my moss ball is not exactly round - turtle bites...

I also have a second tetra brand reptofilter rock waterfall - I LOVE it. it cannot be fully submersed without some modification, but it can also be turned into a cave with two sections for fish, I highly recommend it even if you dont plan to run the filter, the filter parts are removable from the inside and it looks just plain good. You can buy different sizes and shapes. My shark always swims into the holes, I think he feeds on stuff growing on the filter, algae, particles, etc. inside.

here is what he looks like, I call him dumbo
img_1602647_1_dc571b7178a42854fa66b3e3801264cd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom