My New Tank Setup with DIY background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mine ended up going in the closet. things got hectic and i just didnt have a chance to finish it.. the foam is done, just needs the concrete

You need to get that thing back up and running when time allows for it! If all of the foam is done, then the most tedious work is out of the way. It's just grunt work from there on out :rocket:

that is a 12" deep tank right? front to back not top to bottom.

I have a hang on overflow, so thats about the same as a HOB,

Id like to do it all with foam, id like to hollow out the back some and hide the return back there and have it come out of the foam with a piece of pvc or something hidden back there, to basically bring the return to the substrate level instead of up top.

the concrete might be a problem for me since I jsut tiled my basement floor and its below 32 outside. it wont set right. I get my concrete for nothing, a 5g bucket means nothing when my buddy stops by in his mixer. :wink:

It looks great, I will check out those videos and go from there, it looks really nice too, a little jealous, is it a 45g tank?

Here are a couple pictures of the side view so you can see how much swimming space the fish still have. One is without the flash and one is with the flash:

Attachments

• Sideviewnoflash.jpg
    Sideviewnoflash.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 95
  • Sideviewflash.jpg
    Sideviewflash.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 118
There have been some recent developments that I am not at all pleased with. The most annoying thing is that the "holes" that I cut out for the water to get to the filter constantly get clogged, not allowing enough water back into the filter chamber. This causes the filter to struggle making it very loud. I get a turkey baster and try to blast the holes with water to clear the debris. This works for a limited amount of time and needs to be done every couple hours.

I think the problem is that my Penguin filter has two areas on the intake tube where water can get sucked in. One is pretty high up on the tube and I think the water level is dropping down to this point and the filter is losing suction. There is a piece that you can put over that spot to eliminate water being sucked in from that position, but that piece doesn't fit behind my background. I am planning on buying an AquaClear 70 and getting an extension for the intake tube (if they make one). If not, I will fabricate an extension from some rubber tubing. This is not possible with the Penguin as it has a rectangular intake tube.

Also, some of the coloration is wearing off of the cement directly underneath the return from the filter. This isn't a major issue and is mostly aesthetic. I will definitely get a cement that is capable of being acrylically (is that a word?) sealed if I attempt this project on a future tank.

I should have anticipated these two things happening but failed to do so in the production stage.

Back
Top Bottom