My new technique for aquarium flash photography.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10Gallon

Aquarium Advice Regular
When doing aquarium photography I like to use flash most of the time. I don't have to use high ISO's and don't get blur from slow shutter speeds. In the past I would have problems with glare and reflections on the tank. Today I found out that putting a folded cardboard box on top of the tank stops it. It keeps light from the flash from lighting what's in front of the tank. The 2nd flash does nothing more than serve as a counterweight to keep the tripod from tipping over. I used my Nikon D5300 DSLR and wireless flash trigger. Here are a few pics of the 10 gallon.

dcGHfub.jpg

ZxyIBFF.jpg

m8fNGLH.jpg

O1ab02e.jpg

6tL4LdC.jpg

nJdvYwp.jpg

6KGbHfr.jpg

Here's the whole tank. I ordered many plastic plants from Ken's Fish. The order should be here Friday.

AiFq0hE.jpg

Thanks !
Nice pictures and camera ...
The flash is always a big problem for me..
I don't have a remote flash but may look into it.
That is a cool way you do it.

Awesome pictures. If I ever attempt this I’m sure all the stuff would have plopped in the tank. Your technique and dedication are admired.

When doing aquarium photography I like to use flash most of the time. I don't have to use high ISO's and don't get blur from slow shutter speeds. In the past I would have problems with glare and reflections on the tank. Today I found out that putting a folded cardboard box on top of the tank stops it. It keeps light from the flash from lighting what's in front of the tank. The 2nd flash does nothing more than serve as a counterweight to keep the tripod from tipping over. I used my Nikon D5300 DSLR and wireless flash trigger. Here are a few pics of the 10 gallon.

dcGHfub.jpg

ZxyIBFF.jpg

m8fNGLH.jpg

O1ab02e.jpg

6tL4LdC.jpg

nJdvYwp.jpg

6KGbHfr.jpg

It is a good method.
I do it similarly.
For fish as mobile as guppies I need a thick layer of sharpness.
102018-albums14463-picture71740.jpg

Thanks for sharing your insights, 10Gallon. I'm going to try this out for sure since your shots are beautiful. Very well done!

Back
Top Bottom