Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My Office Tank

Ok, here is my 2.5g FW tank that sits atop my cube at work. It has 4 Fancy Male Guppies in it. No heater, just a Duetto 50 Filter that also aerates the water with a little snorkel on it. I never asked the boss to see if it was ok to set it up, but so far, the only thing anyone has said was that it was a great idea! I actually started with a discarded old glass punch bowl. That broke when I was cleaning it one day, so I went a bought this little rectangle one. I am right next to the copier, so people stop to look at the fish all the time. It has become quite a popular item.

I used flattened glass marbles as the substrate, but I am finding that uneaten food and poop ends up collecting down in the cracks. I am wondering if I should swap that out for some of the extra gravel I put in my new planted tank at home. I have been able to use a turkey baster to "pump" water through the marbles to get the junk floating and let the filter pick it up, but does anyone have an opinion on this, other than how it looks?
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Karegg
I have the same flattened marbles in my poor goldfish's bowl, and I run into the same issue.

That's pretty cool, though! I'd get another plastic plant or two - or anything else, really, to provide just a bit more cover for the fish.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Paty
Those flattenened marbles do become a hassle, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap them out. When I bought them for my goldfish's bowl I was just thinking they would look nicer than the multi-colored gravel, I wasn't really thinking about food getting stuck in the cracks.

So, it might just be easier for you to swap it! Looks good though, post pics if/when you decide to change it. : )
Old 04-27-2008, 03:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
that's a very cute tank!
marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks! I think I'm going to do the gravel swap this next week, if I can find the time. I also plan to create a black background by cutting out a piece of Lawn & Leaf bag and sticking it to the back of the tank with static cling. It worked with my big tank at home, so I'm hoping it will work with this one too. I think I'm gonna get some small real plants and replace the little suction-cupped one that's in there now.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just changed the substrate and got rid of the flattened glass marbles. I also added some real plants and a black background. What do you think??
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Looks good, maybe just a few more real plants, but I like it! And at least now you don't have to mess with those marbles, I'll be changing mine soon too. : )
Old 04-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There actually are 2 Java ferns on either side that you can't really see in the picture. Their darker, almost reddish color really adds to the color of the tank. The bright stuff in the middle is Amazon Sword. Hopefully they will all grow and I can use them to plant in other tanks as MTS sets in
Old 04-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Awesome! Like I said it looks good, can't wait to see more pics! : )
Old 04-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Beautiful - I really wish I could keep a tank at work - but with the Neanderthals I work with I know something bad will happen to it

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com