My planted community tropical & discus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corinne118s said:
Love it! Whered you find your plants? Can neverfind good plants!

Some have been bought from pet & aquarium shops and some have been bought online from eBay. They average around $7 each. I have chosen safe hardy plants that don't require very bright lighting.

pleechford said:
What kind of background plant are you using??

I'm using a combination of ambulia, hygrophila and wisteria. The hygro corymbosa I have in the front right hand corner was a quarter of the size when I first planted it in 3 months ago. It is now four times the size and has almost reached the same height as my tank. If I knew it would grow so high I would have also used that as a corner background plant as its very leafy and expands well. I might try and trim a third of it and re-plant it to see if it will propagate. If anyone knows or has this plant and knows if I can do this please let me know.

pleechford said:
What kind of background plant are you using??

I'm using a mixture of ambulia, hygrophila and wisteria. The ambulia have lost most of their leaves down the stem and are more leafy from the top , maybe because that is where they te getting most light.

Pssst..Paul..your inbox is full you have to delete some messages before I can respond to you. :)

Absolutely beautiful tank! I have a question though on my tank it's a 10 gallon planted tank I have a zebra danio that survived a leak I had a few months ago I bought 5 neon tetras today and the zebra danio is being a bit aggressive so idk if I should buy more zebra danios so maybe it won't feel so threatened by the tetras orrr give it away and just have tetras?
What do you guys think?

Fishandmusic81 said:
Absolutely beautiful tank! I have a question though on my tank it's a 10 gallon planted tank I have a zebra danio that survived a leak I had a few months ago I bought 5 neon tetras today and the zebra danio is being a bit aggressive so idk if I should buy more zebra danios so maybe it won't feel so threatened by the tetras orrr give it away and just have tetras?
What do you guys think?

I think you should keep the zebra particularly if you want to keep other types of fish than just neon tetras. Maybe add a few more zebras as they probably like to be together in larger groups and I'm sure your tetras won't be hassled by him. All fish get territorial when any new fish are added, but community tropicals will eventually settle down.

Wow your tank looks incredible! I'm just getting into the planted scene and those pictures are very inspiring :D

Eleven13 said:
Wow your tank looks incredible! I'm just getting into the planted scene and those pictures are very inspiring :D

Thanks! I'm also still new into aquascaping and still learning myself. Let me know how go with your plants and send some photos too :)

absolutely amazing! Plus your in Sydney yay im in Wollongong and cannot find any good plants here.
Where do you get yours? Also were your discus expensive? And the tank was that expensive too?

Sooooo beautiful. Makes me want to hurry and get my planted discus tank up and going. What a great job you did.

Give me your tank.. NOW! :D this is amazing!! Ps.. The blue discus are cute :p

Jason7894561230 said:
absolutely amazing! Plus your in Sydney yay im in Wollongong and cannot find any good plants here.
Where do you get yours? Also were your discus expensive? And the tank was that expensive too?

Thanks Jason! Yes I'm in Sydney now but grew up in Wollongong all my life since 10 years ago. What suburb are you from? I know fins fangs 'n feathers at Warrawong have been around for ages but don't know if they also sell plants. I'm not aware of any other major aquarium store in the gong. All I can suggest is start ringing around in yellow pages. I got my plants from both Auburn Aquarium which is where I also got my tank, and Birkenhead Point Pet Centre. I got the riccia from eBay. I paid $50 each for those 2 discus from Sydney Discus World and plan on buying another 2 soon. Tank was $1800 with cabinet, but I saved around $800 by buying floor stock instead if brand new. It was basically new with only a tiny chip on cabinet which you can hardly see :) I often go down the gong so let me know if you find a good aquarium store there worth visiting.

Maltimomma said:
Sooooo beautiful. Makes me want to hurry and get my planted discus tank up and going. What a great job you did.

Thanks! Some of the work was trial and error but so far I think it's looking good. How many discus are you planting on getting and what sort of plants will you have? Are you set up well to keep real plants?

Womble1234 said:
Give me your tank.. NOW! :D this is amazing!! Ps.. The blue discus are cute :p

Hahaha lol. Even if I wanted to could be a bit tricky transporting it all the way from Oz! I'm glad you like it such, I plan on putting some more pics so look out for them. The blue discus I probably my favourite and definitely the king of the tank. Not even my rainbow shark can mess with him :)

Your tank is stunning! I am just starting my planted tanks and can't wait until they are gron in and I have to trim. I'm sure my fish can't wait either ;)

Here is what I found far as your question regarding your hygro corymbosa:

Propagation can be done by doing some pruning of the lateral shoots which readily form along the stem.
Select a side shoot with several nodes and cut off a 4-inch length of the shoot with clean sharp scissors.
Bury the cut ends of the shoots in the substrate. You can use a piece of bogwood or a rock to keep the cuttings in place. You can also do the same thing by pruning and replanting the top portion of the stem. But, keep in mind the pruned, rooted portion will become bushier and bushier after performing repeated trimmings this way.

Also make sure to remove any leaves that would otherwise get burried in the substrate when you are placing the cutting in it's new home.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom