My planted community tropical & discus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very nice job. It looks great. More proof that you don't need extremely high light to get the job done.

How often are you dosing excel?

Thanks! Some of the work was trial and error but so far I think it's looking good. How many discus are you planting on getting and what sort of plants will you have? Are you set up well to keep real plants?

I just found out that I can have discus so I'm still in the research and planning stage. Any suggestions as to plants, etc. I'd like to have 5 or 6 discus. The tank will be at least a 55 gallon - no smaller.

Lovin Fish said:
Your tank is stunning! I am just starting my planted tanks and can't wait until they are gron in and I have to trim. I'm sure my fish can't wait either ;)

Here is what I found far as your question regarding your hygro corymbosa:

Propagation can be done by doing some pruning of the lateral shoots which readily form along the stem.
Select a side shoot with several nodes and cut off a 4-inch length of the shoot with clean sharp scissors.
Bury the cut ends of the shoots in the substrate. You can use a piece of bogwood or a rock to keep the cuttings in place. You can also do the same thing by pruning and replanting the top portion of the stem. But, keep in mind the pruned, rooted portion will become bushier and bushier after performing repeated trimmings this way.

Also make sure to remove any leaves that would otherwise get burried in the substrate when you are placing the cutting in it's new home.

Thank you very much for your info on propagating hygro corymbosa. When I bought this plant it was only about 5" tall. Now it's the height of my tank about 24" tall!! It has been the fastest and most successful growing plant in my tank and need to keep it under control before it gets out of control! :) planted tanks are so rewarding to have because you not only enjoy watching how your fish are going but also get to enjoy how your plants are growing and doing well, and the fish thrive from this as a result.

fort384 said:
Very nice job. It looks great. More proof that you don't need extremely high light to get the job done.

How often are you dosing excel?

Thanks! My lighting is not extremely high. I'm only using the lighting that came with the tank which is 2 x 54watt T5's and bought reflectors for them. I add a capful of excel every second day.

Have you considered going to a pressurized co2 system? The other thing to consider is just buying a jug of glutaraldehyde from a lab supply company. It is the same as the "secret" formula for excel and far cheaper. I am just thinking that dosing excel for a tank that size would get expensive quickly.

Either way, it is a stunning tank! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Maltimomma said:
I just found out that I can have discus so I'm still in the research and planning stage. Any suggestions as to plants, etc. I'd like to have 5 or 6 discus. The tank will be at least a 55 gallon - no smaller.

From my own personal experience, I've found that java fern, wisteria, hygro phillias and hygro corymbosa are very hardy plants and don't require extreme lighting to do well. I don't have a CO2 gas system so I only rely on the lighting that I have, the plant nutrients in my substrate and regular dosing of seachem excel flourish. The sort of plants you have depends on your lighting and CO2.

paytertot said:
I love it! I wish my discus tank looked like this

Thanks! I love that bright orange discus you have. Did you add all those discus at the same time or did you add a few to start with then the rest later? Some of those angelfish are nice looking too.

fort384 said:
Have you considered going to a pressurized co2 system? The other thing to consider is just buying a jug of glutaraldehyde from a lab supply company. It is the same as the "secret" formula for excel and far cheaper. I am just thinking that dosing excel for a tank that size would get expensive quickly.

I have thought about it but they are very expensive and so far the plants are doing well with what I have and use. Maybe if I wanted to keep more difficult unique species of plants then I'd need a proper CO2 system. The 500ml bottle of excel lasts me over 3 months and I'm careful not to overdose, so I can get buy with buying a bottle every 3 months. I'm pleased to share my tank with everyone and get their feedback which has been all positive. I've also added some more pics of it in my profile overnight.

A polymerized isomer of glutaraldehyde known as polycycloglutaracetal is a fertilizer for aquatic plants[citation needed]. It is claimed that it provides a bioavailable source of carbon for higher plants that is not available to algae. Though not marketed as such due to federal[where?] regulations, the biocidal effect of glutaraldehyde kills most algae at concentrations of 0.5–5.0 ppm.[vague] These levels are not harmful to most aquatic fauna and flora. Adverse reactions have been observed by some aquarists at these concentrations in some aquatic mosses, liverworts, and vascular plants. took this from wikipedia

Back
Top Bottom